Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerve 9: 'Living Lie'
My Mix

Working on some new equipment, so haven't got a handle on it yet

comments helpful and welcome

Cheers
K

.mp3    Nerve9 Living Lie1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.3 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
- real like the vibe of the intro. Nice bold effect choices throughout
- kick feels a bit strong in the balance - maybe affecting some bus compression. Maybe a bit muddy in its definition too - more minor
- snare in the chorus - sounds good - I feel like I want to hear more of it, especially on the backbeat where it can shine
- vocal "Things you said to me" sounds a bit overpowering. some 3-5kHz needs pulled out with a multiband or dynamic eq or other weapon of choice
- total taste comment - and being the guitar player - the flange effect wasn't really working for me, although I appreciated the intent to add some interest in the outro by introducing it. If you were mixing it for me, I would be asking for it to be a bit more subtle and less extreme. Hope that makes sense !

Thanks for sharing - really liked your mix vision overall - hope the observations help - take what you like, discard what you don't !

BR

Thomas
(09-05-2020, 10:35 PM)ThomasStevenson Wrote: - real like the vibe of the intro.  Nice bold effect choices throughout
- kick feels a bit strong in the balance - maybe affecting some bus compression.  Maybe a bit muddy in its definition too - more minor
- snare in the chorus - sounds good - I feel like I want to hear more of it, especially on the backbeat where it can shine
- vocal "Things you said to me" sounds a bit overpowering.  some 3-5kHz needs pulled out with a multiband or dynamic eq or other weapon of choice
- total taste comment - and being the guitar player - the flange effect wasn't really working for me, although I appreciated the intent to add some interest in the outro by introducing it.  If you were mixing it for me, I would be asking for it to be a bit more subtle and less extreme.  Hope that makes sense !

Thanks for sharing - really liked your mix vision overall - hope the observations help - take what you like, discard what you don't !

BR

Thomas

Thanks Thomas for taking the time to have a listen and comment, very much appreciated. Great job on the composition, vocals and musicianship, very enjoyable to have the opportunity to mix.

After listening to it after a few days, I agree with your observations 100%
I'll take the suggestions, clean it up and re post soon

Thanks again
Cheers
Kirk
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.