Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magician's Nephew: 'Symphony Of Silence'_mix Tommy Marcinek
Angel Angel Angel

Love the singer's voice! I did not feel like it should be obscured with modulation effects like in the preview mix. I wanted his voice clear and distinct, and so it is. :-)  Band is great and this was a fun mix. Also, the mix is not bass-heavy. I am wondering why these days everything is so bass-heavy. It's almost like the phenomenon of the "loudness wars." I saw Johnny Winter at a concert here in New Jersey about a year before he died. The house mix was being done by these young guys (I peeked over and looked). All I heard was the kick drum sub frequencies, a little bit of the guitars, some vocals.....BUT, the bass was completely a blur because it was being overshadowed by that kick!!! It was crazy! I could hear nothing but kick drum (which just was being "felt" in my chest.....no definition)!! Horrible! Why do they go around in their cars too with all the sub bass rattling the streets? I guess I'm an old timer. You should be able to have "balance" and nothing should make your ears hurt nor your chest thump....in my humble opinion. But I digress....sorry. Back to this mix: This mix should translate well to any medium with or without a sub, and including small speakers or even the speaker in your phone....LOL! Enjoy. Comments are always welcomed. Sorry for the venting about what I consider to be the new loudness war equivalent...."sub-frequency abomination." That's what I'll call it. LOL!

Peace,

Tom

.mp3    SymphoneOfSilence_4M.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
A quick listen before coffee but it feels good. I think the vocal might be a bit too wet and or out front but I don't hate it. I'm more listening as the band as opposed to me. I'm kinda missing 'feeling' the floor tom in the pre-chorus. I feel like they were part of the melody somehow that never really came through the recording.
It's interesting reading your post because the one thing that jumps out at me is the kick. It's not subby, as far as I can tell but very much in the front but not in a bad way. Maybe it's a little disconnected? At least in the intros/verses.

I think the sub frequency subject comes from the relatively recent ability for the average person being able to reproduce them and not having to worry about the low end for vinyl. I'm all for using all the frequencies we can, safely. It's primal, I get it. But most people do abuse it and don't know how to use/handle it.

It works. It's pleasant to listen to. The vocal is in the spotlight. It's a good mix. Maybe it could do more but it's good as is.

If anything changes after I have my coffee I'll let you know. It's a new brand so hopefully I'll be in a good mood.
(02-05-2020, 01:44 PM)RoyM Wrote: A quick listen before coffee but it feels good. I think the vocal might be a bit too wet and or out front but I don't hate it. I'm more listening as the band as opposed to me. I'm kinda missing 'feeling' the floor tom in the pre-chorus. I feel like they were part of the melody somehow that never really came through the recording.
It's interesting reading your post because the one thing that jumps out at me is the kick. It's not subby, as far as I can tell but very much in the front but not in a bad way. Maybe it's a little disconnected? At least in the intros/verses.

I think the sub frequency subject comes from the relatively recent ability for the average person being able to reproduce them and not having to worry about the low end for vinyl. I'm all for using all the frequencies we can, safely. It's primal, I get it. But most people do abuse it and don't know how to use/handle it.

It works. It's pleasant to listen to. The vocal is in the spotlight. It's a good mix. Maybe it could do more but it's good as is.

If anything changes after I have my coffee I'll let you know. It's a new brand so hopefully I'll be in a good mood.

------------------

LOL....new brand of coffee. You are right about the vocal being too wet....I'll go in there and fix that for sure. The kick is prominent, as I like it and wanted it, but not in the extreme low end. I like an upfront kick with the beater really coming through. As most people know, making sure that the beater click is heard helps to translate well to small speakers and small listening environments....such as T.V.'s, tablets, phones, etc. Plus, I just love the way it sounds. :-) It's kind of my signature kick sound. I manage to get that sound no matter the track/s provided, through eq, gating, compression, etc....sometimes a transient shaper.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Peace.....later.....

Tom 
tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek