Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mix of "By My Side" by Kat Wright
I tried cleaning up the mic bleed as best as I could. The results are okay, but there's still work to be done. Comments welcomed.

.mp3    KatWright_ByMySide_Mix1_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hello Dave

I heard your mix. I really like the sound on the vocals, it´s clear and bright and sits well on the mix.

The horns sit well in the mix but they´re open too far and sometimes they don´t sound like a horn section, but more as horn soloists because you can´t picture them playing together. If your purpose was to make a more open sound, try mixing them o a bus and adding a slapback delay, that will give you some stereo spread but without having to pan the horns too far from the center.

How did you aproach the mic bleed? I had trouble with that too.

In the ending you can hear some tracks cutting off abruptly, maybe fade the out in editing to make them smoother.
Overall it sounds very natural and clean, I would add more FX on the drums and vocals, but that´s a personal preference. Let me know what you think of my mix too.

Cheers!

Arturo Sallas
(29-04-2020, 06:03 PM)Arturo.Sallas Wrote: Hello Dave

I heard your mix. I really like the sound on the vocals, it´s clear and bright and sits well on the mix.

The horns sit well in the mix but they´re open too far and sometimes they don´t sound like a horn section, but more as horn soloists because you can´t picture them playing together. If your purpose was to make a more open sound, try mixing them o a bus and adding a slapback delay, that will give you some stereo spread but without having to pan the horns too far from the center.

How did you aproach the mic bleed? I had trouble with that too.

In the ending you can hear some tracks cutting off abruptly, maybe fade the out in editing to make them smoother.
Overall it sounds very natural and clean, I would add more FX on the drums and vocals, but that´s a personal preference. Let me know what you think of my mix too.

Cheers!

Arturo Sallas

Hello Arturo, and thanks for having a listen.

The horns are sent out to a bus. In this tune there are 2 saxes and the single trumpet, so I separated the saxes left and right 50% with the trumpet down the center. I'm using FabFilter Pro-C2 compressor, trying to get a consistent level so they are glued together and nothing is sticking out too badly. The bass tones of a baritone sax naturally pop-out a bit and the brighter tone of a trumpet are the other extreme. I don't want to squash the waveform, but even with a relatively fast attack, I do often hear the baritone sax and trumpet more clearly than the tenor sax, so agreed, there's more work to be done there. Instead of monitoring the peaks, I think I'll witch to RMS level to try and get them more controlled.

I listened to each of the background vocal tracks and found no vocals, only bleed from the band, so they're muted. The lead vocals are where I spent a fair amount of time getting a more consistent level and then sharply lowering areas where it was only band bleed. Once the volume level was completed, I used C4 multi-band compressor set to get about 3db control at the louder areas, but generally across the track getting only 1 or 2 dbs GR. Then there's another SSL compressor set at 2:1 on the vocal bus to smooth out only a dB or so.

In an effort to cleanup more mic bleed, I've muted the B3 tacks for the first 2/3s of the song, un-muting only where its playing during the last 1/3 of the song. Similarly on the Wurlitzer, during the 10 or so bars its not playing, I muted the track.

Attached is the re-worked mix, where I think the horns are glued a bit better.

.mp3    KatWright_ByMySide_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.