Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My interpretation of "Pray For The Rain" by Nerve 9
I really like this song and so have many of my friends & family. Kudos to the composers, and many thanks for letting us learn from your work.

.mp3    Nerve9_PrayForTheRain_Mix1D_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 11.24 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hi Dave

Thanks for your kind words about the song - having a listen through now - just listened to your living lie mix a short while ago, so hello again Smile

- your drum balance sounds great
- the verse "interest" guitar feels a bit high in the balance - and I realize the irony given that I am the guitar player
- lead vocal is sounding good. Subjective comment would be I would like to hear a little more reverb/delay/other atmosphere on it
- liking your verse 2 approach a lot - same comment re: verse guitar
- I really like your feature of the tremolo guitar in the chorus parts. This "riff" was the origin of the song. Insider fact Smile
- Chorus 2 - possible the BV parts got shifted in time a bit? Or the reverb return is what we are hearing a bit delayed? Feels a bit out of sync.
- bass guitar - could perhaps use a little more low end. Perhaps a reference check vs. the reference mix.
- yeah, BV parts are shifted or time delayed somehow - interferes with the flow/timing
- like the dropout from chorus 3 into the outro - nice
- the cymbal wash parts - maybe a bit prominent - consider dialing back the level a touch

Really nice mix Dave - like the vision for it a lot. I hope some of these comments help. Also note the March 2015 Sound on Sound mix rescue article was on this track and gives lots of useful mix insights if you hadn't found it already. Now freely available online.

Hope these observations help !

Cheers

Thomas