Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doppler Shift, Atrophy Mix
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to mixing but I love it and want to be the best I can. This is my current pass on Doppler Shift's "Atrophy." All advice and critique is welcome.

Thanks for listening!

Mixed ~ -14 LUFS

.mp3    Doppler Shift, Atrophy MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.44 MB)

Hey there!

I like your take on this song!
You got the delays better than me in my opinion Wink

How did you get the chorus guitars to have... some kind of "second voice" to them?
They have some higher frequencies that stick out, in a harmonically way
Was that "just" automated equalizing or is there some trick to it?

Edit: also, (just on my headphones, acoustics are a killer) I think that the kick and bass are a bit too loud... I thiiink there is reverb on them, and they could use a bit less of both..
Hey!

Thank you very much! And thanks for listening!

There's a few things going on with the guitars in the chorus (and also something that isn't guitars). I used a few parallels: a bit of OTT compression + Mid/Side EQ insert to send more 3.5k-5ks into the sides and less in the mid; an amp with widened stereo field; and a LoFi plugin for some saturation. I also like to use a small amount of Trash2's Harmonic Control drive on the guitar's submaster. A better mixer might look at this and say "there's an easier way" but it worked for me.

Secondly, there are 2 synths that play during the chorus. In a nutshell: I used a hipass filter at 2k, widened them a bit, and added some compression before slipping them into the mix. My guitars don't have the crunch and drive that some other mixes do, so these added another layer of energy to the chorus that I found pleasing.

I'm also a sucker for a good synth, so I like to bring them up as much as I can!

As for the bass and kick -- it's possible they may need to be toned down slightly. I don't have any reverb on them, but there is a tiny amount placed on the whole track during the maximizing process (hi-pass filtered @ ~2k) so maybe that's what you're hearing? Appreciate the feedback!
Godd job... I love this song.
Thank you! I really like this song, myself.