Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magician's Nephew - Symphony of Silence
Here is my mix. Feedback is appreciated.

.mp3    Symphony of Silence-BJS Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.73 MB)

Nice pass!  Listening with headphones, it sounds great.  Good tones, balance and power.  Vocals are possible a bit hot for my taste but this is subjective.  I find having the vocals too forward can subtract from the power of the performance overall.  It can be a fine balance to get right though.  Anyways,  great work.
(26-04-2020, 01:06 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Nice pass!  Listening with headphones, it sounds great.  Good tones, balance and power.  Vocals are possible a bit hot for my taste but this is subjective.  I find having the vocals too forward can subtract from the power of the performance overall.  It can be a fine balance to get right though.  Anyways,  great work.

Thanks for the feedback! You bring up some good points.
Barton James! My biggest enemy! At last you show your face. Oh wait, that was Barton James (Andrew). Different fellow. Sorry.This is awkward. Please ignore this epee.

While Dangerous (Dave) is right, as usual, I don't find the vocals to be too up front or hot. They have a good bit of attitude and they should be up front. I think there should be more support around them. Ultimately, while I do agree I'd suggest not thinking that the vocals are loud (they're pretty much right in the chorus sections and I generally like the tone) but maybe consider that the rest of the band should come up and do more around the vocal. It's a subtle difference, I suppose, but I think it might help to not view the vocal level as being too much but the rest of the band to not doing enough.
If that makes sense.

I get the impression that the vocal level is generally static and the band comes and goes around it. So in the chorus it works fine. In the quieter verse sections when there isn't much going on it feels exposed and out front. There's less overall energy for it to compete against. So yeah, maybe Dave (Dangerous) is right and it's too hot. I'm typing this as I'm listening and evolving my opinion on the fly. Maybe we're both right. I dunno. How's your day going?

It's certainly pleasant to listen too. The balances all work I never really thought about the mix while listening through a few times. It was just a song and that's all we really want or ask in the end. So, no real complaints. But, yeah I feel like it could also do more. It could be more exciting. How? I dunno. That's your job.

Good work.
Roy(m)
(27-04-2020, 06:20 PM)RoyM Wrote: Barton James! My biggest enemy! At last you show your face. Oh wait, that was Barton James (Andrew). Different fellow. Sorry.This is awkward. Please ignore this epee.

While Dangerous (Dave) is right, as usual, I don't find the vocals to be too up front or hot. They have a good bit of attitude and they should be up front. I think there should be more support around them. Ultimately, while I do agree I'd suggest not thinking that the vocals are loud (they're pretty much right in the chorus sections and I generally like the tone) but maybe consider that the rest of the band should come up and do more around the vocal. It's a subtle difference, I suppose, but I think it might help to not view the vocal level as being too much but the rest of the band to not doing enough.
If that makes sense.

I get the impression that the vocal level is generally static and the band comes and goes around it. So in the chorus it works fine. In the quieter verse sections when there isn't much going on it feels exposed and out front. There's less overall energy for it to compete against. So yeah, maybe Dave (Dangerous) is right and it's too hot. I'm typing this as I'm listening and evolving my opinion on the fly. Maybe we're both right. I dunno. How's your day going?

It's certainly pleasant to listen too. The balances all work I never really thought about the mix while listening through a few times. It was just a song and that's all we really want or ask in the end. So, no real complaints. But, yeah I feel like it could also do more. It could be more exciting. How? I dunno. That's your job.

Good work.
Roy(m)

Good points Roy, this is why I find it so hard to get the vocal levels to sit right and remain natural.