Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friggy Mix - Living Lie
There was some interesting things going on in the drums, I tried to take care of most of it without the mix turning into a surgery. Rest of the tracks were fine and the mix came together pretty quickly. Great song. Smile

.mp3    00-Living Lie MixV1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.44 MB)

- intro guitar distracts a bit from the lead vocal - volume?
- you've got the "big" going on - nice
- nice lead vocal delays at the chorus
- like the lead guitar treatment
- 2nd verse - verse guitar - yeah, it's too prominent/loud in the balance. Same later in the 3rd voice.
- lead vocal is peaky for me in places - I know I had to 6-8 db multiband reduce the 3-5kHz region. Had to turn volume down when listening at times.
- bass guitar is a bit prominent in the bridge part - takes the attention
- like the bass tone in general - fills come through nicely

Really nice job overall - like the mix vision in general. Top corrections for me would be the lead vocal and verse guitar level.

Hope this helps !

Cheers

Thomas
Thanks for all of that. I'm trying out a new plugin called DSEQ and I have it on the vocals. It's supposed to do the Soothe thing, seems to be working on the resonances in the vocals. I automated the guitars down and the bass as well, I don't really hear those parts stepping over the vocals now.

Then some small eq things here and there and this mix isn't as loud as the last one, but only by a db or so.

.mp3    00-Living Lie MixV2 RT.mp3 --  (Download: 11.44 MB)

(26-04-2020, 10:33 PM)Friggy Wrote: Thanks for all of that. I'm trying out a new plugin called DSEQ and I have it on the vocals. It's supposed to do the Soothe thing, seems to be working on the resonances in the vocals. I automated the guitars down and the bass as well, I don't really hear those parts stepping over the vocals now.

Then some small eq things here and there and this mix isn't as loud as the last one, but only by a db or so.
Hi

I am a huge fan of the 80's vibe you've got going on the snare drum. I'm not sure whether it's suited for this partiular song or not, but it doesn't matter, because 80's drums are suited for EVERYTHING! Wink

The vocal feels really LOUD! It's like it's almost causing the vox bus to overcook, especially at the peaks.

Your balances feels ok, still there's something about the overdrive guitar that's ... I guess, I think they feel too loud in the mix. On the other hand, do I think that the lead guitar, especially the fist solo, feels too blended in the mix. You bass, on the other hand, is nice. The fills cuts through the mix like a hot knife in cold butter, without being disruptive when it's ... just bass. Good job!
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow