Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ikebe Shakedown - The Last Stand: my mix and master
That's my mix and master.
First time to work on horns...
i always choose metal stuffs...

.mp3    Ikebe Shakedown - The Last Stand (mix and master by bluetigermastering.com).mp3 --  (Download: 8.47 MB)

BlueTigerMastering studio gears:
Apple Mac M2 +
Softube Console 1 + Weiss plugz
TC Electronic Clarity metering system
(previously TC Sytem 6000 + Konnekt X32)
Audiolab M-DAC and Cyrus pre and DAC
Dynaudio BM15A, Mackie HR824, Yamaha HS7 monitors
+ SVS subwoofer
Sony MDR-EX500 in-ear headphones
Hi!
I think this is a pretty good mix. There are no really big issues. The one thing that's bothering me when I listen to it is that the kick drum sound too hard and clicky. I know that this is common in metal, but it doesn't fit in a funk track.

I think the mix sounds a bit too clean and tight for this kind of music, but that's entirely subjective. Try adding some tube or tape saturation to fatten things up and some boingy spring reverbs to make things sound less clean.

Hope this was helpful!

I'm uploading my mix of this song. It would be nice to get some feedback from you.

Edit: After another listen, I just wanted to add that i feel like there is too much separation in this mix. It should feel like a band jamming out together. The room mic and the chamber are great for adding this feel.
[quote pid='99613' dateline='1597447855']
Thanx for your detailed feedback: i really appreciate it!

For my opinion rythm section has to be punchy in funky music too: snare, kick and bass guitar.

I like to reach audiophile modern
standard: so very clean program with high lufs level.

When i mix i like to create my own stereo image, that's why i separate something, i assure you the jnage is good on mt bowers and dynaudio too.

I don't like to use a lot of chamber and room coz i hate unuseful noises. I love clear and transparent sounds.

I will listen your mix when i will be vack ftom holidays. Have a nice day mate.
[/quote]

BlueTigerMastering studio gears:
Apple Mac M2 +
Softube Console 1 + Weiss plugz
TC Electronic Clarity metering system
(previously TC Sytem 6000 + Konnekt X32)
Audiolab M-DAC and Cyrus pre and DAC
Dynaudio BM15A, Mackie HR824, Yamaha HS7 monitors
+ SVS subwoofer
Sony MDR-EX500 in-ear headphones
I guess we just have different taste. I grew up listening to old blues, soul and funk, so this music is close to my heart. It just sounds really fake to me when a mix relies too much on the close mics. Those transients poking out from the close mics of all the different instruments makes me hear any inconsistency in the performance and takes me out of the groove.

It's all subjective. "Unuseful noises" to you, is musical to me. There is no such thing as "audiophile modern standard". There is saturation and distortion all over modern music. It's all about making a compelling piece of art.