Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living Lie
Hi Everyone, Thanks for taking the time and have a listen.

I'm very new at this. I have only edited/mixed a half dozen songs to date, after a 3 month crash course in a recording studio. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

My objective with my mix, was to take what the artists put on the tracks and make each instrument pop without making mud out of it. Not any one part overwhelm another, yet each clear and defined.

Anyway, Thanks again, and I will see if this old dog has learned any new tricks.
Jeff

.mp3    Living Lie_4.mp3 --  (Download: 4.43 MB)

I gave it a couple of listens. Yeah, there are some issues and rough spots. I'll say it's fine to listen to and that's a good thing. Nothing hurts. You didn't try to push the pedal to the floor and do too much.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the effects on the intro guitar, and the vocal. Modulation on top of modulation feels like a forced decision. The guitar already had and effect and you could have left it be or did something else but I'm not sure the effect you picked helped at all. It just feels like something to do and a weird decision.

The vocals feel a bit stuffed up. There could be a cut in the mids to help that. They could just use some clarity and openness. They're better in the pre chorus but it seems constant throughout.

The snare bottom is pretty loud and it makes the snare feel 'papery'.

Um... let me listen again...

Is there reverse reverb? I don't hate it I'm just curious if I'm hearing what I'm hearing or need to take meds.

Yeah, I guess the only two things that jump out at me are the snare and the vocals. Though the two biggest elements in a song. Lol. Maybe I've gotten used to the song after listening through a few times but the rough spots even out and I don't really care about the random issues. The foundation feels good. If you can tweak the snare and more importantly the vocal you'd have a decent mix.

Keep at it.
Thanks for the review.
The adjustment to the snare should be pretty straight forward.

The intro guitar was a last second decision and I guess one step to far...

I'm gonna make those adjustments and give a hard look at the vocals and put some time in to get them better.

Thanks for the feedback, a little focused direction helps a lot.
Hi Jeff - thanks for mixing our track! I just had a listen through and took some notes below in case helpful. There is some subjectivity to my comments, as it is our track, I play the guitars, recorded and mixed the referenced version. ie. biased Smile

- kick time alignment - needs alignment with other audible drum tracks.
- delay on vocal. I found it quite distracting - I think it's delay time lingers too long and conflicts with the main part.
- bridge really comes in nice - contrast and arrangement build is cool
- chorus sounds good to me as well
- snare weight - seems thin - when the backbeat hits in the chorus, it's a lost opportunity here. I was referencing the back in black snare.
- bass sound - like it - fills stand out nicely !
- same comment as above for whispers - delay is distracting
-more arrangement differentiation in the bridge? Again makes the solo kicking in a lost opportunity with the drums/bass etc still going as per normal
- lead guitar sounds thin and dry to me - it's the rhythm guitars that stand out in the mix - more delays or something on the lead? The balance at the end of the song sounds better to me, but missing some width/delays or something. If you were mixing it for me, I'd be asking for a bit more here.

I hope you find this helpful ! Thanks again for mixing our track - stay safe !

Thomas