Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Symphony of Silence 1 Hour Draper Mix
Hey Guys

I was really strict on my time limit with this one. I spent one hour exactly mixing this track.

I recorded a video of my mix session, but the audio for the first 2/3's is double because of how loud I had my mic. . . oops. Then in the last 1/3, you only hear the mix through my mic. . . oh well.

At least you can see what I am doing when I am doing it.

There is a lot I didn't get to (ie eqing most of anything, haha), but I think I accomplished a lot with what I did. There are definitely some guitar levels i want ridden up, as well as getting to bringing the saxes back up just a little, and playing around with a little bit more sculting of the organ track.

Let me know if you think it was a productive hour, and I will post a link to the video once i upload it to youtube as a hidden video.

Cheers!
Draper

.mp3    symphony of silence reaper 1 hour.mp3 --  (Download: 7 MB)

I just gave it a quick listen. The biggest thing that jumped out at me is the overall lack of bass guitar. The rest feels ok but there's no anchor. I think the guitars need weight as well. I wonder if there's a reason for everything missing from the lower mids down.
Hey Roy! I think you'll see that I didn't get the volume of the drums up until about 98% of the way through the hour. Previously the bass was the prominent instrument throughout the song, but sice I was treating it as a literal 1 hour mix, I didn't have any time to finesse my bass after I created my drum buss.

Take a watch here:
https://youtu.be/WcsVr6BWEM0

I may ramble a little, may zone out a little, but this was my exact process.

Please ignore the audio issues!

Draper
Oops, edited the youtube video to clean up the front, but the changes haven't taken effect yet.

Sorry for the pda.
Hey Draper

Gotta love it, coffee, chips, vapin and turning knobs ..
Thoroughly enjoyed the video, a little bit different process than mine (except for the coffee, chips, vapin and turnin knobs) , but we all get to the same end result. I picked up a few tips which was nice. Also was nice to see your video and audio setup using VM banana and OBS, which I just setup a few weeks ago and having fun trying to get the drivers to work the way I want.. ahhrg. Anyways, The mix sounds great in the headphones, Thanks for making the video was really helpful to see your process.
OK gotta go plug my phone into the couch..lol
Cheers, stay safe

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey Kmuzic!

I'm glad you liked the video! It wasn't the most productive, as I was trying to piece together the weirdness I was hearing in the overheads (as you saw) and I wish I hade spent my timely a little more wisely, but I think I got a decent result from the whole thing!

Yeah, I have to figure out why I had such a delayed audio in the video, but i think it just boils down to having my mic way too hot.

I did decide to throw on a limiting amp on the end of my master buss to bring the level up to listenable levels, so I decided to post that so that people can hear the mix more as it may be heard after mastering (but not really, but I think people here generally understand that).

Thanks for listening and watching!
Draper

.mp3    symphony of silence reaper 1 hour leveling amp.mp3 --  (Download: 7 MB)