Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living Lie Mix
Very nice song, again...Smile

What I wanted to achieve is preserve all the recordings and tracks, no replacement and no producing (if panning and having some reverbs don't count), just like the musician wanted

What I found was that the drum tracks were a bit off, phasing and delaying issues (smalls but counts if you want to have a good mix). I tried (but not as much as I should) to resolve these problems.
My "stupid" solution was to split the Overheads into 2 tracks (L & R) resolve the phasing issue than align the snares with it using the transients in my daw.
Didn't came up the way I wanted, but hope it's a nice mix to start with

Edit (v2 R01) 01.11.2023
Tried a new version, hope it turned out better

Edit (v3 R01) 11.04.2023
New mix from scratch

Thanks a lot

.mp3    Living Lie.mp3 --  (Download: 9.04 MB)

.mp3    Nerve9 - Living Lie v2 R01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.97 MB)

.mp3    Nerve 9 - Living Lie v3 R01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.78 MB)

MacPro 5,1 - Monteret | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
It sounds good. No complaints. I really like the vocal. I do feel like i hear some phasing issue with the overheads, I think. The mix sounds fine in mono but there's just something going on that I can't put my finger on. It's not something that's even bad it's just something I noticed. The cymbals sound fine so maybe it's a good thing. Narrowing the overhead panning might work. It's not even a problem, just something I think i hear and am pointing it out.

Anyway. It sounds great, good job.
Thanks a lot RoyM,

There is definitely a phasing issue.
What I noticed is there are couple of timing issues (track delays) between snares with themselves and then between snares and overheads and the rest of the drum kit
This is why, even in the beginning of the song, when the drums come in, the kick seems all over the place.

More than that the left overhead channel is somehow a few samples behind than the right one and has a lower volume (maybe was recorded with a stereo device than didn't have a phase correlation algorithm, I really don't know if such thing exists Smile ).

Anyway, I really liked the song and it was very easy for me to blend the vocal, as it was sang very good

Thanks again, I really learned something during this song

My theory is there was some thing done to the tracks like beat detective or flex editing that may have thrown things off on some tracks. But yeah, overheads will naturally have a delay between them depending on where they're placed. Assuming they are a spaced pair as opposed to coincident. Which these are not [edit, I mean the OHs weren't recorded with a coincident pair. Not a judgment, just a note. I personally was never a fan of coincident stereo recording for overheads. Room mics, yes. Actually I hate OH micing in general and if it's just a crash and ride I'll spot mic and use a separate kit mic(s) Sorry to digress]. Even when the snares are lined up something else is phase shifted as well.

It's all fine. Just something that jumped out at me in the mix.
RoyM, Thanks a lot for your explanations
Will listen to the mix shortly - no beat detective or editing of the drums involved. The overheads were recorded more as cymbal mics than overheads and were seperate tracks.
Ah. Then I don't know what the weirdness is. Maybe a mic just moved during recording.
Hi Filip - thanks for mixing our track ! Just had a listen through - sounds nice from an overall balance perspective. A few observations I can offer.

- vocal treatment sounds great
- general observation that the mix frequency balance seems to be shy in the 200Hz zone - when A/B'ing your mix a bit, it felt like it was missing some weight in contrast - a bit thin. I think the chorus guitars could use more 200Hz for sure - perhaps the snare as well.
- Cymbals are high in the balance. Your drums have a nice live feel to them, but the cymbal level was a bit distracting to me - especially in the middle lead guitar part where the drummer is hitting the crash a lot
- lead guitar parts in the middle/end. I like the effects I am hearing - I think it would be great as the effect return, but I was missing some guitar level itself. Partially related to the cymbal comment above - it felt a bit pushed back.

I hope these help - a lot of subjective comments of course, but I feel I can provide people with the feedback I would give if you were mixing it for me ! Really nice mix - thanks for sharing !

Thomas
Hi Thomas.
First of all, very nice song, and thanks a lot for the tracks

You are right, I felt that the overall mix was missing some mids, and some warmth, and to be honest, I think, all of my mixes are missing this
I didn't use any automation, and I'm sure this is causing this balancing issue between cymbals and the rest of the mix

Your observations are very helpful for me and I'm really grateful for it

Keep up the good work, I'm really liking the songs

All the best
Filip
I'm noticing the same thing in the drum recording. In the overheads the right signal, if you use the snare as a reference point, the right signal jumps ahead of the left signal. The first few snare hits are about 20 samples apart in the overheads, which is about right if you kind of measure your mics to be centered with the snare when setting up overheads.

About a minute in the snare in the right channel is now 200ish samples ahead of the snare in the left channel. And towards the end of the song the right snare hits are around 450samples ahead of the left. Drooping OH mic while getting all the takes?

It happens in the snare bottom and tom 3. Snare bottom is fine until the first tom build up going into the chorus. Then it is nudged and is about 30ms ahead of the actual snare hit. Tom 3 does this about half way through the first chorus, which is around 1min in on my DAW timeline.

It will take some smart editing to get everything back in order. Or just gate and filter a lot and let a sample help cover up the snare. Smile