Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
Eddie Garrido - Scarlett - by mITc
Typically, I am not a fan of remixing pre-mixed audio. To me it's like reheating McDonald's food. The creative process is all but lost. However, there were some bits of challenge and realization to be had with these tracks and besides, I am Covid-19 desperate.

So, with that being said here is my mix.

I went straight SSL E-Channel on every input and was quite happy with the selection. Dynamics were applied to tame some things and EQ added to enhance where necessary. there was some automation done on the bass and the snare fills. That's about it as it did not need much to sound better than just throwing up the faders at unity.

Enjoy, and as usual comments are appreciated.

Stay Safe and Stay Home,
mITc

.mp3    Eddie Garrido - Scarlett.mp3 --  (Download: 8.26 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi!

Glad you found something to spend a bit of time on.

I initially felt the same regarding the pre-mixed tracks, but I quickly realised there is actually quite a lot you can do with this, and it is more of a challenge than it might first appear, and quite good fun too.

Listening to your mix, it sounds to me that you've been pretty creative and done a fair bit with this - I especially like the breakdown. Nice choice to go with the SSL-E. I feel it's probably the way to go, but I didn't go down that route in the end. Very nice overall tone. No complaints here. I enjoyed this a lot. Going to give it a few more listens I think.

Take care.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(15-04-2020, 10:12 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Glad you found something to spend a bit of time on.

I initially felt the same regarding the pre-mixed tracks, but I quickly realised there is actually quite a lot you can do with this, and it is more of a challenge than it might first appear, and quite good fun too.

Listening to your mix, it sounds to me that you've been pretty creative and done a fair bit with this - I especially like the breakdown. Nice choice to go with the SSL-E. I feel it's probably the way to go, but I didn't go down that route in the end. Very nice overall tone. No complaints here. I enjoyed this a lot. Going to give it a few more listens I think.

Take care.

Cheers!

Going the SSL route was your idea, Mike after your Jeff Lorber comment. so I thought I'd give it a shot. And I liked the results. Now if I had the Focusrite channel strip or the Neve I might try those two as well.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(15-04-2020, 08:57 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Typically, I am not a fan of remixing pre-mixed audio.

Yeah, I hear you. What's the point. I loaded this into the DAW, saw that the drums were not recorded to my taste and inextricably mixed together.
I Shift-Deleted it pretty quick. I think I will go revisit some old mixes or something.

Hi Mixinthecloud, NewtonThomas Smile
I can't quite agree with you.  I do not believe that these tracks were mixed before, the keyboards sound like factory synth presets and the same goes for bass.  So there is definitely room for micro dynamics, eliminating overlapping frequencies and making depth in the mix.  Of course it is easier to do this when every element in the mix is ​​separated, but with these kind of tracks you do not think so much about, for example, you don't think about what the drum sound will be like, but immediately go to the thing and go on, solving bigger problems in the mix. Wink
And I very much support the channel strip mixing idea.Smile
(19-04-2020, 01:30 PM)Nikola Mikovic Wrote: Hi Mixinthecloud, NewtonThomas Smile
I can't quite agree with you.  I do not believe that these tracks were mixed before, the keyboards sound like factory synth presets and the same goes for bass.  So there is definitely room for micro dynamics, eliminating overlapping frequencies and making depth in the mix.  Of course it is easier to do this when every element in the mix is ​​separated, but with these kind of tracks you do not think so much about, for example, you don't think about what the drum sound will be like, but immediately go to the thing and go on, solving bigger problems in the mix. Wink
And I very much support the channel strip mixing idea.Smile

Nikola,
If you enjoy the idea of mixing pre-mixed tracks I strongly suggest you check out and subscribe to MixTheMusic, if you have not done so already. This is a new product offered in partnership with PreSonus which has contracted almost all major catalogue holders and all genres of music and theater. They can be found at https://www.mixthemusic.com.

Personally, I feel handcuffed by pre-mixed tracks and as a studio and live sound professional I want as much control and challenge as can be offered. But, to each, his/her own.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(19-04-2020, 05:03 AM)NewtonThomas Wrote:
(15-04-2020, 08:57 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Typically, I am not a fan of remixing pre-mixed audio.

Yeah, I hear you. What's the point. I loaded this into the DAW, saw that the drums were not recorded to my taste and inextricably mixed together.
I Shift-Deleted it pretty quick. I think I will go revisit some old mixes or something.

Are you familiar with MixTheMusic (https://www.mixthemusic.com)? They are making significant inroads to the creation and distribution of mostly pre-mixed tracks and stems from almost all catalogue holders and musical genres. I think that if this ever begins to make an impact on the revenue stream for these catalogues, you will see a lot more of this especially if artist begin to understand the value of it.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]