Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living Lie - t643 mix
Here’s my take on this track. The main points of note were:

* I’ve tried to keep the vocals front and centre. Apart from the usual EQ and comp, I’ve used a transient shaper to give them slightly more attack though the effect is quite subtle.
* There are tempo synced delays on some of the guitars to make things sound a little thicker and to get some syncopation happening amongst the parts.
* I found it difficult to get the drums to a point where I was entirely happy with them. I still feel they could use some work, but I figured I’d reached the point of diminishing returns! There’s a tape saturation plugin and a comp on the drum bus, plus a few EQs scattered about. The snare has got an 80’s style gated reverb on it to increase the sustain a bit.

All in all a really catchy track which I had a lot of fun working on. Comments and criticisms welcome!

.mp3    Nerve9 - Living Lie.mp3 --  (Download: 11.48 MB)

Hi t6432

Thanks for mixing our track. Taking some notes below:

- intro balance is nice
- kick track is out of time alignment
- bass guitar is muddy sounding - the fills are getting lost - this may be my top point of feedback in this mix
- like the lead guitar delay or reverb choice
- snare has an opportunity to shine on the backbeat in the chorus, but it's a bit low in the balance
- bridge has a lot of low mid build up with the toms in the drums - needs a bit of attention
- cymbals could use some automation - sometimes too prominent
- middle part - very creative - like it a lot. You get the build into the solo.
- like the lead guitar treatment. The cymbals are distracting in this part particularly here per my comment above
- I might suggest a bit of commercial referencing - or were you using something in particular?

Thanks for sharing your mix of our song. Highlight for me was the bridge part for sure. Points of attention I think are the bass guitar balance and some low-mid cleanup with some referencing.

Hope this helps !

Thomas