Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Symphony of Silence -My mix
Here is my mix of Symphony of Silence.

This song was recorded pretty well to begin with so not much to do to it.
I tend to take the approach of sticking to what the song has to offer instead or trying to change it into something else.

Hope you like it, and thanks for the tracks.

.mp3    Symphony of silence 2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

Nice mix zog. Maybe snare is too dry in my opinion. But overall nice sounding mix.
(14-04-2020, 07:21 PM)mike84 Wrote: Nice mix zog. Maybe snare is too dry in my opinion. But overall nice sounding mix.

Thanks for listening to my mix. I think I was switching between several different snare sounds and trying to figure out which one I liked best and forgot what I was doing.
(14-04-2020, 04:51 PM)zog Wrote: This song was recorded pretty well to begin with so not much to do to it.
I tend to take the approach of sticking to what the song has to offer instead or trying to change it into something else.

Well my friend, at least you understand that point that so many do not seem to understand. Exactly, use the tools that the song has and only use your own production ideas IF they actually connect with the song,rhythmically,sonically or emotionally. Don't do something just because you think you should do it.

I think it was a very good decision to mainly use the room sound for the snare. This is not the 80's anymore, time of the Phil Collins snare reverb is over, its been over for a LONG TIME. Plus ,if you use more compression on those Overheads, you can squeeze a LOT more reverb out of the room.

The mix overall sounds okay, it just needs more attention to the low end for all instruments, few db's more high end to everything and it needs to be a bit higher in volume as well.

That slapback delay on the vocal is a nice touch. If you add something new,make it minimal. At least you didnt swamp everything in reverb,heh.

But you definitely have the basic package together. Now just start going thru each instrument at a time, and try to make them sound like they sound when you hear them in a room when someone is playing.

Anyways,i hope i can offer anything useful to you. Remember, people want to hear the song,not effects. So you were 100% right about that Smile

Take care Cool