Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel 13 - Roar
Hello. I'm new here, and this is my first post. I'm an old live sound guy who recently got into the home studio thing. Glad this site (and the multitracks) are here.
Hope I got things right, and this works.

.mp3    Diesel 13-Roar-Mixed by Bill LaChance-04-14-2020.mp3 --  (Download: 7.34 MB)

I like your mix ,It has a nice warm analog vibe.
Sounds well balanced on my monitors !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

It does feel pretty good. The only real issue is that the low end feels a little 'tubby' in the 150hz (?) region. I'm missing the note of the bass and kick pattern. It's a minor point, it feels ok as a whole and fits the nature of the song but if I had to point to something it would be that area of the mix. It's tricky to get it to happen on this song. I know I never did.

My only other complaint is that cymbal crash in the chorus. It's been a while since I've heard the song and maybe it bothered me before but it stands out to me. It's not the mix's fault. It's the arrangement and a choice they made when they recorded the song. But man, that crash feels distracting and a bit fake. It happens too often. Sorry to complain about that here and now. It just jumped out at me.

Anyway, minor things. Sounds good.
Hi!

This sounds great to me! (I haven't tackled this one yet so am not familiar with the raw tracks).

Not sure if its a psychological thing because you mentioned live sound... Hard to describe, It's got that kind of almost imperceptible atmospheric mids/top end thing going on that I like a lot. Reminded me of the kind of sound you kind of get from the best bootleg board mixes, but much better/cleaner of course.

Yeah really enjoyed this. Nice work.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Thank you so very much for the kind words. Yeah, the crashes kinda bothered me too, but I'll be 65 this summer, and high end can be a crapshoot for me sometimes. I use a dbx drive rack for my monitors (JBL 4311b-I told you I was old!), which takes out some of the guesswork for me. The EQ is down 4dB @ 160 on my end, probably a standing wave in my basement.
Thanks again everyone!
Bill
The JBL 4311b's are fine. And the cymbals aren't a matter of frequency but of frequency. Ha. A play on words. Overall, from what I recall your mix had no issues with the high end. It's just that crash sample stands out and happens too frequently. You can ditch it and the mix would be fine.