Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescue Me (from lockdown)-Amy Helms & the handsome strangers (spandex Mix)
Good Day Fine People

So being in lockdown has allowed some time to get back to mixing,
soundtoys has opened up the effects rack to use and i think i'm sold(when i can afford it), i used it on a couple of tracks

otherwise quite a cool song, my wife has been singing it for the last 2 days

as always let me know the good the bad and the ugly.
have a stellar day

Cheers Big Grin[/align]

.mp3    amy helm an the handsome strangers-rescue me.mp3 --  (Download: 9.85 MB)

I like your kick, has a lot of weigh. I wish I'd hear a bit more beater to it tho to make the double kick a bit more intelligible. I also think that the rich sub kick (without a clear beater) also makes your mix less punchy and takes some of the swing out of the song. The sub is just not fast enough to provide 2 quick hits clearly, imo. I like the snare too, reminds me of CLA snare. But I think you can give it a bit more body (a bit too snappy) to even with the hi-mid you got in it. Right now it seems the snare is carrying the top end for your mix. It's sitting higher than the vocal and the hats, in frequency point of view. I also think your mix can use a bit more depth and width. I think your guitar is competing with the vocal somewhere around 900Hz-1.6kHz. Your mix will sound much more powerful if you can compensate the low mid with the top end. Right now the latter is more making your mix a bit thin. Around 100Hz-250Hz is the real power of any mix, imo. Most of the fundamentals of instruments lie within that range. So it pays to pay more attention there. Hope you agree.