Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Ride - Dead Enemies
Thanks to Dark Ride for making these tracks available. I'm a live mixing engineer at a local bar and grill. I've been learning mixing for the past 2 years, and with the recent lockdown, I've been learning how to use Reaper DAW and learning more about mixing from a recording production stand point.

I read the F.A.Q. I'm not a professional mixer either. I found the track a challenge because of all the layers. 55 tracks is a lot compared to what I do in a live setting in a 350+ capacity bar venue.

I didn't read the F.A.Q until after I had already mixed the song, but had already done some of the suggested things like mid heavy solo guitar tones using a Sigma amp sim and some free IRs I found on the internet until some of them worked in the mix, at least to my ears anyways. Feedback is appreciated!

.mp3    Dark Ride - Dead Enemies - Alt Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.22 MB)

I fixed a couple of the things in this mix, the blast beat snare Blitzzz suggested and the vocal fill at around 1:39 of the song by doing a 4 voice chorus with a bit of delay added to it. Also took the gain down in the solo guitars a bit. Those IR's for them cut well, but tonally I was happy when mixing now listening back might change them again. I don't have this luxury when mixing live, so I get pretty indecisive when I can take my time to change something in a mix!

.mp3    Dark Ride - Dead Enemies - Alt Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.22 MB)

Hey,

the balance is off, the bass is too loud - mind bringing it down for a couple of decibels? Smile Also, the snare stands out too much from the rest of the drumkit. I think this mix has some potential, but you need to get the balance right first. You have made some good choices, but also some bad ones that need to be corrected. E.g. the snare sounds awkward and thin, as if it doesn't belong to the rest of the drums. Most of the times when I hear something like this in my mixes, it's a problem with the room track, not the snare track. It could also quite possibly be that the snare track is just not in balance with the rest of the drums (aka too loud). A good example of this is the blast beat where the snare is clearly too loud. No drummer can play blast and still hit the snare like this Smile

As I said there is some potential in this mix, with quite a few good choices (guitar sound, kick etc.), but you need to fix the weak points