Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bolz & Knecht: Brahms's 'Hungarian Dance No. 5' by k3sh4v
Greetings to all. I joined this forum recently and very eager to meet and talk to this community. Big Grin
I'm no expert but i am improving day to day. Smile

While mixing these multitracks, many things were taken into account :-
1. Performance :-
a) Position of the voices in this duet.
b) Mix should sound like a performance. Give-n-Take between the performances.
c) Clear sounding notes and transitions. There are some parts which are a little less audible or fades out. It could be intentional but i though they need a little work.
d) Dealing with string noises at a few places on guitar DI.
2. Engineering :-
a) Tracks are few but enough to acquire stereo space.
b) I think saxophone mic was a little close by choice to capture the sustain properly. Need work.
c) Guitar do not need too much highs as the performance have an attacking property which needs to be utilized properly.
d) The track which contain both guitar and saxophone needs some polishing in the highbass and lowmids.
e) Saxophone attack needs some taming.

My Conclusions :-
1. Either this is a saxophone preferred performance or Mics were placed so as to capture full character of the saxophone performance.
2. Mix can sound amazing in both mono and stereo not only because there are few instruments but also because notes can be made to acquire different region in frequency spectrum very easily just by a little EQ while almost retaining the desired tonal and textural quality of voices here.

Kindly give your suggestions and thoughts about the mix. I would love to know what you were thinking when you were attempting this yourself. Smile

.mp3    01 - BolzAndKnecht_HungarianDanceNo5_r1_session_20-04-11_1751.mp3 --  (Download: 6.64 MB)