Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mozart (my practicaly thirst classical music mix)
I hope that in spite of the lots of time has passed, some of you will want to comment.

I started by listening to 4 different recordings of this piece. I think it will not be very important to name which ones. After fully listening to all four, I listened to the main pair in the multitrack and wrote out what I like and what not. The first thing that became apparent in the recording is a lot of double basses and cellos in comparison with any of the four references. Then, I think everyone who worked with this mix noticed that woodwinds sound a little louder than they should. And finally, I did not like the balance with the noticeable predominance of the piano over the orchestra. It was these three points that I tried to correct during the mixing. I hope I succeeded. Although the problem with the woodwind practically remained.

I didn’t do automation, although for the perfect balance at every moment could do a little magic. Since I did not make big changes to the balance of instruments, I thought that let the balance be on the conscience of the conductor, yet he understands this much more than I do.

Sorry for my English Smile and hope you will comment.

.mp3    Mozart Concerto No. 12 (Mixed by Romario).mp3 --  (Download: 23.85 MB)

Nicely assembled Romario.
The balance for my ears is superb. Combining this with the space you have created the performance within is beautiful to listen to. Not sure if there's a work around for the wood wind parts, but you have managed their resonant sound well. Finally I like the positioning on the piano and it's balance within. It's a perfect marriage. I guess I would like to hear this with a slight touch of automation, even if it's just an extension of the conductors arm in enforcing their desired dynamic control that was lost through the recording. But is it really required? Probably not.
An enjoyable listen. Thanks for sharing.
Very nice. I think any problems you had with this were just a mic positioning problems. Still, it is super clean.
Thanks for listening!
Logic, Midas M32, KRK monitors, Beyerdynamic and Focal headphones
Well done! On my headphones it sounds very much like sitting halfway into the audience. Nice and clean with a very nice space. Even though it sounds good the piano is a bit scattered in the space on some notes, but it really works which is what is important. Very enjoyable!
(10-04-2020, 01:23 PM)Romario Wrote: I hope that in spite of the lots of time has passed, some of you will want to comment.

I started by listening to 4 different recordings of this piece. I think it will not be very important to name which ones. After fully listening to all four, I listened to the main pair in the multitrack and wrote out what I like and what not. The first thing that became apparent in the recording is a lot of double basses and cellos in comparison with any of the four references. Then, I think everyone who worked with this mix noticed that woodwinds sound a little louder than they should. And finally, I did not like the balance with the noticeable predominance of the piano over the orchestra. It was these three points that I tried to correct during the mixing. I hope I succeeded. Although the problem with the woodwind practically remained.

I didn’t do automation, although for the perfect balance at every moment could do a little magic. Since I did not make big changes to the balance of instruments, I thought that let the balance be on the conscience of the conductor, yet he understands this much more than I do.

I think you have identified the issues that are presented with this recording, however I think there is only one double bass in the ensemble (from the pictures available) which only makes the jumping bass more of an anomaly. I do agree the woodwinds do overwhelm at times as well. Getting a good mix between a well balanced ensemble and an accurate featured soloist is the real problem to solve here. There is also a bit of a ring in the upper mid-range of the piano complicating things some. I am not sure if it is the instrument or the mics. Maintaining a sense of place while supporting the dynamics of the written piece is also a challenge. I'd say you've done very nicely. I did opt for a bit of automation to enhance the dynamics of the ensemble against the soloist but I'm not sure I got it right. It was a fun challenge though.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(10-04-2020, 03:26 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Nicely assembled Romario.
The balance for my ears is superb. Combining this with the space you have created the performance within is beautiful to listen to. Not sure if there's a work around for the wood wind parts, but you have managed their resonant sound well. Finally I like the positioning on the piano and it's balance within. It's a perfect marriage. I guess I would like to hear this with a slight touch of automation, even if it's just an extension of the conductors arm in enforcing their desired dynamic control that was lost through the recording. But is it really required? Probably not.
An enjoyable listen. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Dangerous for your feedback. It is especially nice to receive it from a person whose mix was well appreciated. Unfortunately, yes, woodwinds do not quite suit me, but apparently nothing can be done without harming other instruments. Thanks for the advice about automation, you have confirmed my feeling.

(10-04-2020, 03:57 PM)PhilThePeel Wrote: Very nice. I think any problems you had with this were just a mic positioning problems. Still, it is super clean.

Thanks for the feedback! I did not quite understand what you had in mind about mic positioning. Are you talking about spot panning?
(10-04-2020, 05:34 PM)F_U Wrote: Well done! On my headphones it sounds very much like sitting halfway into the audience. Nice and clean with a very nice space. Even though it sounds good the piano is a bit scattered in the space on some notes, but it really works which is what is important. Very enjoyable!

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with your comment. I added a lot of Outrigger Pair to the mix to slightly blur the very focused piano from the main pair. It seemed to me that this could help me put the piano in the orchestra. The decision was a compromise.
(10-04-2020, 07:40 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 01:23 PM)Romario Wrote: I hope that in spite of the lots of time has passed, some of you will want to comment.

I think you have identified the issues that are presented with this recording, however I think there is only one double bass in the ensemble (from the pictures available) which only makes the jumping bass more of an anomaly. I do agree the woodwinds do overwhelm at times as well. Getting a good mix between a well balanced ensemble and an accurate featured soloist is the real problem to solve here. There is also a bit of a ring in the upper mid-range of the piano complicating things some. I am not sure if it is the instrument or the mics. Maintaining a sense of place while supporting the dynamics of the written piece is also a challenge. I'd say you've done very nicely. I did opt for a bit of automation to enhance the dynamics of the ensemble against the soloist but I'm not sure I got it right. It was a fun challenge though.

Thanks for your feedback! Well, one more remark about automation is already talking about something). The sound of the piano seems to me formed by the instrument itself and may not be the most successful position of the microphones. I do not pretend to the truth.