Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerve 9: 'Living Lie'
Nerve 9: 'Living Lie'

.mp3    Living Life.mp3 --  (Download: 11.29 MB)

Hi Javier - thanks for mixing our track !

- like your verse guitar delay - super cool - might just want to hear a bit of low/low-mids removed from the delayed part - subjective comment
- chorus part sounds solid - the vibe goes a bit more stark at the chorus vs. the verses- part of mix vision or selected reference? Both sections sound good - just noticible with the contrast
- background vocal parts really up front vs. the lead vocal. Volume and/or reverb etc needed I think
- kick - time aligned? Not hearing the same time alignment issue as some of the mixes, but maybe hearing it a bit on verse 1.
- bass is cutting through well - would like to hear a little more low frequencies on it- subjective comment as well.

Sounds good though ! Thanks again for mixing the song !

Thomas
(12-04-2020, 10:51 PM)ThomasStevenson Wrote: Hi Javier - thanks for mixing our track !

- like your verse guitar delay - super cool - might just want to hear a bit of low/low-mids removed from the delayed part - subjective comment Thank you, I used a digital delay with 1/8 noted panned to the opposite side of the dry guitar, It has a LP filter at 4KHz. Used a PSP version of Lexicon PCM 42. I will remove the low mids in a future revision. Thank you.
- chorus part sounds solid - the vibe goes a bit more stark at the chorus vs. the verses- part of mix vision or selected reference? Both sections sound good - just noticeable with the contrast I am glad you perceived the contrast. I am all about contrasting parts to bring attention and emotion to the mix. The arrangement of the song is very good for this contrasting approach. I automated the choruses to bring the energy up in the first cords of the guitars or some crashes in the cymbals.
- background vocal parts really up front vs. the lead vocal. Volume and/or reverb etc needed I think Same contrast principle. I had the lad vocals in a short medium room verb and I wanted the whispers and BGVs hard panned to be brilliant and up front to have some ear candy for the listener. If you feel they need to take a back seat to the main vocals I can put them in a chamber and take brilliance out of them to seat them further back.
- kick - time aligned? Not hearing the same time alignment issue as some of the mixes, but maybe hearing it a bit on verse 1. I found early on the mix the issue with the alignment is in the two additional snare tracks (bottom and side) Those tracks where comped shifted and where flaming the snare hits. may be the bounce or an edit point. I discarded them as the top snare mic was really good and gave me all the snare sound I needed.
- bass is cutting through well - would like to hear a little more low frequencies on it- subjective comment as well. In the case of the bass I rolled a bit of the low bass at 45 Hz to lets the foot drum fill that space. I could invert it by making a punchier foot drum and a lower bass guitar.

Sounds good though ! Thanks again for mixing the song ! My pleasure. The song was really good in arrangement, emotion, lyrics and performance so it was 90% all there. Thank you again. Let me know if you will like a revised v2 and I could bounce it for you top quality 24 bits 48 KHz WAV in case you want it and send it via Wetransfer.

Thomas

Hello Thomas:

Thank you for taking time reviewing my mix. See my responses above regarding your review notes.

Javier