Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Six Fox Whiskey - Hope and the Sea
This one was really enjoyable. Lots of "problems" to solve on this one.

Low end: I didn't want to create something that had a super huge, hyped up low end. The first few mixes I did had way to much for the style of music. The bass track was super clean, but on my smaller monitors I didn't realize that while I thought I was putting the bass in the pocket, I was really just putting the top end where it needed to be and the low end was taking over where I couldn't hear it. Through a few different methods, I gave the bass some more highs. I think that this makes it balance in this mix a little better. It barks at you a little when he really digs in, but I gotta say, I kinda like it. Not controlling the low end was the biggest mistake I heard on some of the mixes here.

Panning: I know that having the guitars super wide most of the time is a little confusing/disorienting, but I really dig the sound. It keeps everything out of its own way. I did a ton of panning automation. Its a small detail that might fall to the wayside, but just when you get comfortable, I try to switch it up.

Drums: They really drive this track around. I realize they might be a bit loud...but they sure do sound good.

Effect: When I first heard these tracks, I knew that I wanted it to sound huge. I wanted to preserve the live band feel. I wanted it to sound like it was in a nice concert hall. During the sax solo, I really laid into it, because it gave the sax some interest. During the soli at the end, I put the solo guitar in the same space as the sax so they sounded cohesive.

Lots of little tricks in this one. Nice loudness and dynamic range. I feel proud of it. Checked it in a bunch of places and it sounds pretty consistent. Hopefully it sounds good on your rig. Thanks for reading all this if you made it this far. Stay safe and wash your hands.

Edit: Newer version is an attempt to get the bass in a better spot. Friends were telling me I should split the difference on the amount of sub. Tried to clean the mids a little as well on the bass. Cleaned up the guitar a bit in the verse that seems to use some sort of pedal that makes the noise floor rise. Took a little boxiness off the guitars and tried to subdue the ride a little in the choruses, as a comment here mentioned (thanks for the feedback.) Re-balanced the BGVs a little bit toward the end. Very gently tuned the vocal in a few key spots.

.mp3    Six Fox Whiskey - Hope and the Sea V1.6.mp3 --  (Download: 19.77 MB)

.mp3    Six Fox Whiskey - Hope and the Sea V1.7.mp3 --  (Download: 19.77 MB)

Thanks for listening!
Logic, Midas M32, KRK monitors, Beyerdynamic and Focal headphones
Hey PhilThePeel,

Your mix sounds great - really like the sound of the drums, sax and vocals. You did a good job of keeping the feeling very "live" and musical, that does the recording justice.

My only input, and that's matter of taste: Maybe the ride is a little too loud and the guitars could be a little less "boxy", but like I said, that's just my taste - I dig your mix!

Thanks for taking a listen!
Thanks for listening!
Logic, Midas M32, KRK monitors, Beyerdynamic and Focal headphones