Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
my take on Living Lie
I liked this song! I tried to use as little plugins as possible. I put the Brainworx SSL 4000 e plugin on every channel and only used the comp and eq on that. Also used my 1167 clone from Klark Teknik on the snare kick and vocals. did a -3db compression on the master bus and some small eq on the highs. Also did some weird FX on the vocals.

Also NO SAMPLES on the drums, they were recorded great! one weird thing I noticed and fixed was that the snare tracks didn't always line up. That really helped haha.

V2 MIX

Thanks, ThomasStevenson for sharing your song and the feedback you gave me.

I fixed the reverb, did a 400hz cut on the return and a low and highpass. Also brightened up the vocals a bit.

Please let me know what you think.Big Grin

.mp3    Mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 11.58 MB)

.mp3    Mixdown V2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.16 MB)

My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
Hi Brady - thanks for mixing our track - just had a listen. Some cool ideas in there !

- lead vocal delay (or long tail reverb?) - kinda cool, but I think it interferes with intelligibility a bit - a couple of things I could suggest. (1) Low pass filter the return such that the echo doesn't have as much weight as the lead part. (2) Automate the delay on select lines or every second line when there is a bit of a break- it is sometimes interfering with the lead
- really like the effect on the whisper part - cool
- overall mix balance is very good, but I am concerned the lead vocal part is a little muddy or at least not bright enough vs the band. Perhaps the references you are using? From a depth perspective, I close my eyes and the vocal is pretty pushed back - guitars are a lot brighter (and sound great BTW), so they take the spotlight. Subjective, but sharing nonetheless.

Thanks again for sharing - some cool effects in there !

Thomas
ThomasStevenson Thanks for your feedback, I uploaded a new version.
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer