Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whisper to a Scream - Scott's Mix
Hey Guys!

Here is my attempt at this song. I know Johnny checks out these forums so thanks for allowing us to mix your songs. I always have a blast getting to work with your material.

As for the mix, I didn't do anything too different. Glad that the drums weren't SSD this time (at least to my ears, they don't sound like SSD). Left more room for creative freedom. There was a couple spots that there was a frequency in the vocals that got on my nerves. It was on the word scream during the choruses. It was around 2k. I notched it out and got the vocals to finally sit where I wanted them to.

I am pretty happy with the way the mix turned out. Let me know what you guys think! Have a great day!

.mp3    Whisper to a Scream Mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 5.8 MB)

Hi Scott:

I'm glad you like mixing this stuff. I know I certainly enjoy creating it! It was nice when so many people were asking for more tracks to mix from me...very cool.

You are correct, no SSD this time (good ears!). SSD is getting a little over-used, so I'm Also I'm sure there are things that need to be fixed frequency-wise as these are simply demo tracks...no cleaning or pre-eq'ing done to anything. The "Promises" tracks were final tracks that were actually recorded better and even had a bit of eq'ing done. I thought using demo tracks would make people work a bit harder this time (plus it's all I have at the moment)!

Good mix. The only thing I would say is that it sounds like there is a lot of compression in there somewhere which is doing 2 things...bringing up a ton of background noise and killing some of the dynamics of the track. other than that I think everything is leveled and mixed nicely.

Thanks for sharing.

Keep it loud!
Johnny Lokke,
www.johnnylokkeband.com
Yeah, clean those hisses away... Most of them originate from the vocal tracks.

Lots of people seem to have problem with the bass in this one... If you're having trouble blending the DI and amp signal together (it can be really tricky sometimes), maybe it would be simple to just ditch one of them away.

Since you know your way around notching resonances, maybe take out the ~700 Hz bump in the electric guitars that make them sound a bit boxy?

I think you've got great drum sounds here! Push them louder (and prouder) to make 'em shine!
Thanks for the tips guys! The hissing actually came from a limiter I had on the master track (I am still working on my mastering skills) that was increasing the volume of the J37 tape plugin I put in to round off the low end. I also notched out a little bit of the bass to get rid of some harmonic hum I heard. I don't remember the exact frequency. I think this version is a lot better. You know how it is sometimes. You get a good mix (you think), walk away from it for a day or two, and find a ton of mistakes. Happens all the time. Have a listen to this version

.mp3    Wjisper to a Scream Mixdown 2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.8 MB)

(25-11-2013, 01:31 AM)ScottTurek Wrote: Here is my attempt at this song.

As for the mix, I didn't do anything too different. Glad that the drums weren't SSD this time (at least to my ears, they don't sound like SSD). Left more room for creative freedom. There was a couple spots that there was a frequency in the vocals that got on my nerves. It was on the word scream during the choruses. It was around 2k. I notched it out and got the vocals to finally sit where I wanted them to.

I am pretty happy with the way the mix turned out. Let me know what you guys think!

Little too much compression for my taste; besides imparting a bit of distortion throughout the song it also tends to crank up the noise towards the end. Also, bass drum is a little "clicky" for my taste; I'd rather hear more "thump."

Those seem to be the only problems, though; otherwise I really like this! You did an excellent job of giving the guitars some stereo "space" and I gotta love the thump of the toms panning across the stereo field towards the end. Also, you did an excellent job balancing the vocals, and that notch at 2 kHz you mentioned to tame the sharpness of "scream" worked really well. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(25-11-2013, 09:25 PM)johnnylokke Wrote: The "Promises" tracks were final tracks that were actually recorded better and even had a bit of eq'ing done. I thought using demo tracks would make people work a bit harder this time (plus it's all I have at the moment)!

Ah. That might explain why it was quite a bit easier to get a good guitar tone out of "Promises and Lies" (which I intend to post sometime in the not too distant future Wink).
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
(27-11-2013, 08:53 PM)ScottTurek Wrote: Thanks for the tips guys! The hissing actually came from a limiter I had on the master track (I am still working on my mastering skills) that was increasing the volume of the J37 tape plugin I put in to round off the low end. I also notched out a little bit of the bass to get rid of some harmonic hum I heard. I don't remember the exact frequency. I think this version is a lot better. You know how it is sometimes. You get a good mix (you think), walk away from it for a day or two, and find a ton of mistakes. Happens all the time. Have a listen to this version

Ah, much better! Still not quite as much "thump" from the kick as I'd like but otherwise first-rate! Really enjoyed it! Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures