Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silence Is Near: 'The Forthcoming Turn'
Silence Is Near: 'The Forthcoming Turn'

.mp3    Forthcoming Turn.mp3 --  (Download: 14.41 MB)

.mp3    Forthcoming Turn(2).mp3 --  (Download: 14.41 MB)

Nice mix you've got going there, but if you're up for the task I recommend you try editing the guitars and bass (I did). Just line them up to the grid and tighten the mutes. It would heavily tighten up the song. Also, I'd say don't hold back on the drum samples in this one. The drummer's pretty tight and all and the recording's pretty good, but in order to make this genre work you just gotta hit those drums WAY harder than that, like Matt Halpern hard if you've ever watched any Periphery docs. Also regarding you mix in its current form I think you could find a middle ground for your 1st version and 2nd version. The first one has great drums, but stood out a bit much, and are a little bit dry. Try knocking them back a bit, and crank up some compression and a bit of reverb on the snare, especially in the 'chuggy' sections. The other instruments sound better in mix(2) , although the bass is still a bit lackluster (understandably because the bassist sucks imo which is why I recommend you edit them). Also I recommend running the mix through some bus compression. It would make the 'chuggy' sections pack a lot more punch trust me. Good luck and have fun.

Please check my mix out, too. I didn't want to spend all those time editing for no feedback haha jkBig Grin.
(06-04-2020, 07:23 AM)bcs_mix Wrote: Nice mix you've got going there, but if you're up for the task I recommend you try editing the guitars and bass (I did). Just line them up to the grid and tighten the mutes. It would heavily tighten up the song. Also, I'd say don't hold back on the drum samples in this one. The drummer's pretty tight and all and the recording's pretty good, but in order to make this genre work you just gotta hit those drums WAY harder than that, like Matt Halpern hard if you've ever watched any Periphery docs. Also regarding you mix in its current form I think you could find a middle ground for your 1st version and 2nd version. The first one has great drums, but stood out a bit much, and are a little bit dry. Try knocking them back a bit, and crank up some compression and a bit of reverb on the snare, especially in the 'chuggy' sections. The other instruments sound better in mix(2) , although the bass is still a bit lackluster (understandably because the bassist sucks imo which is why I recommend you edit them). Also I recommend running the mix through some bus compression. It would make the 'chuggy' sections pack a lot more punch trust me. Good luck and have fun.

Please check my mix out, too. I didn't want to spend all those time editing for no feedback haha jkBig Grin.

Thank you for your recommendations and feedback on my mix. This is not a genre I mix often so any input is welcome. i didn't used samples for the drums. What you hear is only the original drums there. The editing of the guitars and bass is something I did only for the extraneous noises of palm muting and string noises there but not to time align the performances. I see you have a solid reference for this genre of metal. I will listen to Periphery to get the codes of the genre. Also I didnt reamp the guitars, what you hear is their original tones. Do you recommend an specific amp or set up for this music?
(06-04-2020, 02:49 PM)javierpg84 Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 07:23 AM)bcs_mix Wrote: Nice mix you've got going there, but if you're up for the task I recommend you try editing the guitars and bass (I did). Just line them up to the grid and tighten the mutes. It would heavily tighten up the song. Also, I'd say don't hold back on the drum samples in this one. The drummer's pretty tight and all and the recording's pretty good, but in order to make this genre work you just gotta hit those drums WAY harder than that, like Matt Halpern hard if you've ever watched any Periphery docs. Also regarding you mix in its current form I think you could find a middle ground for your 1st version and 2nd version. The first one has great drums, but stood out a bit much, and are a little bit dry. Try knocking them back a bit, and crank up some compression and a bit of reverb on the snare, especially in the 'chuggy' sections. The other instruments sound better in mix(2) , although the bass is still a bit lackluster (understandably because the bassist sucks imo which is why I recommend you edit them). Also I recommend running the mix through some bus compression. It would make the 'chuggy' sections pack a lot more punch trust me. Good luck and have fun.

i didn't used samples for the drums. What you hear is only the original drums there.

what I meant was that you should find a hard hitting samples to reinforce the drums! In this particular genre its almost mandatory and desired to have an unnatural sounding drum, so don't worry about losing dynamics or the natural performance. This genre generally needs almost the opposite of that! Also, I left a more detailed reply about how I got the tones for my mix in my thread, be sure to check it out. You really did wonders with the original recordings though.
I like it, but it seems to have not much high end or midrange. The two major peaks are around 90hz and 2k. If you smooth those out a little, then it would sound much cleaner. The midrange gets filled when the synths and orchestra come in, which is fine. But it could definitely use some more high end to bring out the smack of those drums and the aggression of the guitars.