Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cotton Drifting - Rainy Day II
This is my mix of this song.

Let me know what you think!

.mp3    CottonDrifting_RainyDayII.mp3 --  (Download: 12.2 MB)

(05-04-2020, 08:20 AM)jorhaowei Wrote: This is my mix of this song.

Let me know what you think!
Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. Let me start by saying (well first off that I'm no master engineer but also,) that I think the frequency balance is great and it's a very listenable mix. There are a few things that I will gripe about though: 

1) The climax of the first part falls short. It all sounds great, the balance and space is all there, until it rises at the end of that part. I think adding some extra reverb to the backing vox could help or automating a reverb on some elements to swell with that part. I'm pretty sure what I did was to boost the vocal room mic at the end and maybe smash the drums a bit with a compressor. I don't remember exactly. Oh, I used the trash room mic for the drums too, raising the level of that. 

2) The snare sounds flat. Might be as simple as boosting the level of the close mic. I kinda wish I would've raised the level of it in my mix too. Adding some reverb to it I think would help as well, like a short room or something. I also like compressed drums and I think adding more compression might make the overall drum sound more exciting. 

3) The backing vox are too loud and up front at the end part. They're not that interesting and I don't think they need to be that loud and could stand to have some reverb added. 

4) The guitar solo (if I can call it that) at the end of the song is too compressed.

Please keep in mind that, like I said above, I'm not the greatest engineer so take my opinion lightly and not as me trying to tell you what to do. And as it's my opinion, the advice is suited to my taste in a mix and may not help get you the mix you want. I'm also biased because I wrote the damn thing Big Grin. Thanks for submitting a mix, it's always cool hearing other people have a go at it.