Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix)
Wow, great job!

I'm wondering how did you make that kind of pumping effect on the kick for each attack, to enhance the massiveness of the drums. Is this just an EQ and compressor tuning, or there is much more magic behind ?

I've got the same question here for the snare parts that sound so even in your mix when the original track had severe dynamic issue. Is this just only made with the addition of snare room samples ?
(27-04-2020, 02:34 PM)registered Wrote: Wow, great job!

I'm wondering how did you make that kind of pumping effect on the kick for each attack, to enhance the massiveness of the drums. Is this just an EQ and compressor tuning, or there is much more magic behind ?

I've got the same question here for the snare parts that sound so even in your mix when the original track had severe dynamic issue. Is this just only made with the addition of snare room samples ?

-Thanks!

-I wouldn't call it 'pumping', that would sound a lot more extreme than this (look up Sidechaining). It is done in the master bus, using compression. You can look up those Youtube channels I suggested in my previous comments for better advice from actual pros. Precisely editing to lock the kick snare and bass together also plags a huge role. I didn't use any kick samples on this track. The recording engineer and the drummer both put in a very good job in this case.

-As for the snare though if I were in the studio I would've told him to hit a lot harder. Ideally it is certainly possible to get a huge, exploding snare without samples. The magic comes from the room mic track. The room acoustics of the studio must be good, and the drummer must hit the snare HARD while at the same time ease off the other arm to hit hihats/crashes quieter than usual in order to prevent bleeds. But of course this requires a professional, studio experienced, trained drummer which is not really expected here. If you are tracking a breakdown section you should be hitting that snare a lot harder than you would in the verse, is what I'm saying. These type of things can't be fixed in post without obviously the use of sample reinforcements. Although it could be argued that my vision is different than what the band intended the drums should sound like. Look up the original mix of this song, it sounds pretty different than my mix in terms of style.

-I did go a little fancy with the snare on this track. I sampled the hardest and cleanest snare hit in the song and trigger it for every other hits. Basically like blending in samples but using the real kit only because I just couldn't find the right sample for this one really. Other than that is the room sample as I have already mentioned. I also used automation to adjust the levels of each hit if they are too noticeably dynamic. Imo the problem of the snare track isn't the dynamic issue nor the timing, but the bleed which sounds very obvious because the guitars are muted often.
It's sounding good! I agree wholeheartedly haha. The drummer definitely should've hit harder. I feel like your snare sample is a little crushed with compression though. I like the sound of the song, but it seems to have that mid-sized dip in the 500hz and a peak at 2kthat makes it kind of fatiguing to listen to the whole way through, and makes everything sound a teensy bit hollow. It's an overall solid mix, but maybe a little too compressed on the drums. I LOVE how much room there is for the snare though.