Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix)
What a banger! Terrific job on the drummer, and the engineer. Although, I think this type of genre would really benefit from drum sample reinforcements because he could've hit the snare a lot harder in 'chuggy' parts imo, but so far I haven't found the 'right' sample yet so it's what it is for now. P IV Matt Halpern snare would be perfect for the job but I don't have GGD. Guitars, and especially bass however are complete wack. I had to spend probably an hour or two tightening them up. Came out pretty decent in the end, I guess. Please tell me what you think of it.

PS. Also, I don't think the tempo map provided is accurate, so I also had to spend another hour rewriting it (I'm not a drummer alright it's hard to make sense of odd meters, lol. Being an avid Periphery listener did help me a lot though.) If any of you want a more correct tempo map feel free to tell me I can bounce the midi out for you.

UPDATE (Mix 3) : Finally added some snare room samples to create the heavy hitting snare sound. Reference is Periphery's Juggernaut. Please check the mix out!

UPDATE : MY OWN TEMPO & TIME SIGNATURE MAP
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RbzBiU...fkBgjZ_wXU
FEEL FREE TO USE IT TO SAVE YOURSELF FROM HEADACHE!Big Grin

.m4a    The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix).m4a --  (Download: 14.57 MB)

.m4a    The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix 3).m4a --  (Download: 14.58 MB)

I quite like the growly tone of your guitars, nicely balanced and they are aggressive, yet not harsh to listen to. The mix overall lacks a bit of grit in the mids to bring it forward, for my taste. This gives the mix a bit of an old school vibe, which perhaps is what you're going for anyway. Drums probably need some different samples to smack a bit harder, they sound a bit low-fi for my ears. Overall, like the direction your going for here, nice job.
(05-04-2020, 12:19 PM)mick2015 Wrote: Drums probably need some different samples to smack a bit harder, they sound a bit low-fi for my ears.

The original mix had no samples and I couldn't find a way to boost much high w/o bringing up the hihats. When you mentioned you add Slate samples it reminded me that hitting hard is not just about the transient but the body too .Steven Slate likes to use his snare room samples to blend with natural snare track, so I basically did a similar technique in the Mix 3 update. Roughly referenced off of Periphery's Juggernaught albums. Please give it a listen I'm quite proud of this one.

.m4a    The Forthcoming Turn (BCS Mix 3).m4a --  (Download: 14.58 MB)

(06-04-2020, 07:32 AM)bcs_mix Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 12:19 PM)mick2015 Wrote: Drums probably need some different samples to smack a bit harder, they sound a bit low-fi for my ears.

The original mix had no samples and I couldn't find a way to boost much high w/o bringing up the hihats. When you mentioned you add Slate samples it reminded me that hitting hard is not just about the transient but the body too .Steven Slate likes to use his snare room samples to blend with natural snare track, so I basically did a similar technique in the Mix 3 update. Roughly referenced off of Periphery's Juggernaught albums. Please give it a listen I'm quite proud of this one.

Nice work, those new drums are definitely sounding bigger!
(04-04-2020, 10:45 AM)bcs_mix Wrote: What a banger! Terrific job on the drummer, and the engineer. Although, I think this type of genre would really benefit from drum sample reinforcements because he could've hit the snare a lot harder in 'chuggy' parts imo, but so far I haven't found the 'right' sample yet so it's what it is for now. P IV Matt Halpern snare would be perfect for the job but I don't have GGD. Guitars, and especially bass however are complete wack. I had to spend probably an hour or two tightening them up. Came out pretty decent in the end, I guess. Please tell me what you think of it.

PS. Also, I don't think the tempo map provided is accurate, so I also had to spend another hour rewriting it (I'm not a drummer alright it's hard to make sense of odd meters, lol. Being an avid Periphery listener did help me a lot though.) If any of you want a more correct tempo map feel free to tell me I can bounce the midi out for you.

UPDATE (Mix 3) : Finally added some snare room samples to create the heavy hitting snare sound. Reference is Periphery's Juggernaut. Please check the mix out!

I like the bite and aggression your guitars have. Did you reamp the DIs? If so do you recommend any specific setting? The precision you achieved with the editing of the guitars and base is really good. It serves well the song. The drum sound its good. I find it aggressive but a little reverby, I dont know if is a genre thing or your personal taste. I like the mix and find it suiting well the music. Great job.
(06-04-2020, 02:57 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: I like the bite and aggression your guitars have. Did you reamp the DIs? If so do you recommend any specific setting? The precision you achieved with the editing of the guitars and base is really good. It serves well the song. The drum sound its good. I find it aggressive but a little reverby, I dont know if is a genre thing or your personal taste. I like the mix and find it suiting well the music. Great job.

Thanks for taking an interest in my mix!

GUITAR:

No, I didn't reamped anything (my laptop can't handle running 2 amp sims at the same time lol). What I did to the guitar was mostly bringing back some low mid because the original tone is too raunchy and thin for my taste. And there were 3 tracks of amped guitars iirc, so I took the one that played a bit different line than the other two, and then run it through an octaver pedal plugin to add even more grit in the low end, and then use stereo sample dalay to make the one track sounds like its double-tracked (basically creating a 'stereo distorted bass line' that's gonna make the low end of the song aggressive and wide.) Check out Beartooth's 'Bad Listener' to hear this effect for clearly. And then I suggest you learn Andy Sneap's C4 multipressor technique, which has been polishing up metal guitars since the mid 2000's.
https://youtu.be/QN8cYb1j4rY
Other than that it's really all about tightening up the playing itself by editing.

BASS: Probably the hardest thing to polish up imo, but once I did it it really turn the song from lackluster to pure banger! I'm gonna need some time to phrase the process out nice and clear though. Maybe I'd even print the individual tracks here if anyone's interested.

DRUMS: Yeah I guess it relies a little too much on reverb in some snare hits because I used reverb automation to accentuate the snare hits and maybe I went too far with some and couldn't be bothered to check out every single hit again for the second time haha. And as I mentioned my laptop isn't quite strong so I could only use two reverb sounds (short and long) for the whole mix, and they may not be the exactly perfect sounding reverb for this kit but I kinda had no choice because they really do sound nice on other stuff. In pro records they would rely more on room mics/samples instead of reverbBig Grin

Lastly regardless of your music taste I really recommend you at least get into the 'internet metalcore/djent scene' if you wanna learn about mixing even in general. They are arguably the most production-nerdy fanbase of all genre. You typically don't see people casually talking about the mix of the newly released single of their favorite bands down in the youtube comment section in other genres. Check out channels like URM Academy, Hardcore Music Studio. They are full of people who have mixed genre-defining records of this scene (Joey Sturgis, Nolly, etc.). You won't regret it trust me. In my country, most young mainstream mix engineers also came from this scene as well.
(06-04-2020, 04:54 PM)bcs_mix Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 02:57 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: I like the bite and aggression your guitars have. Did you reamp the DIs? If so do you recommend any specific setting? The precision you achieved with the editing of the guitars and base is really good. It serves well the song. The drum sound its good. I find it aggressive but a little reverby, I dont know if is a genre thing or your personal taste. I like the mix and find it suiting well the music. Great job.

Thanks for taking an interest in my mix!

GUITAR:

No, I didn't reamped anything (my laptop can't handle running 2 amp sims at the same time lol). What I did to the guitar was mostly bringing back some low mid because the original tone is too raunchy and thin for my taste. And there were 3 tracks of amped guitars iirc, so I took the one that played a bit different line than the other two, and then run it through an octaver pedal plugin to add even more grit in the low end, and then use stereo sample dalay to make the one track sounds like its double-tracked (basically creating a 'stereo distorted bass line' that's gonna make the low end of the song aggressive and wide.) Check out Beartooth's 'Bad Listener' to hear this effect for clearly. And then I suggest you learn Andy Sneap's C4 multipressor technique, which has been polishing up metal guitars since the mid 2000's.
https://youtu.be/QN8cYb1j4rY
Other than that it's really all about tightening up the playing itself by editing.

BASS: Probably the hardest thing to polish up imo, but once I did it it really turn the song from lackluster to pure banger! I'm gonna need some time to phrase the process out nice and clear though. Maybe I'd even print the individual tracks here if anyone's interested.

DRUMS: Yeah I guess it relies a little too much on reverb in some snare hits because I used reverb automation to accentuate the snare hits and maybe I went too far with some and couldn't be bothered to check out every single hit again for the second time haha. And as I mentioned my laptop isn't quite strong so I could only use two reverb sounds (short and long) for the whole mix, and they may not be the exactly perfect sounding reverb for this kit but I kinda had no choice because they really do sound nice on other stuff. In pro records they would rely more on room mics/samples instead of reverbBig Grin

Lastly regardless of your music taste I really recommend you at least get into the 'internet metalcore/djent scene' if you wanna learn about mixing even in general. They are arguably the most production-nerdy fanbase of all genre. You typically don't see people casually talking about the mix of the newly released single of their favorite bands down in the youtube comment section in other genres. Check out channels like URM Academy, Hardcore Music Studio. They are full of people who have mixed genre-defining records of this scene (Joey Sturgis, Nolly, etc.). You won't regret it trust me. In my country, most young mainstream mix engineers also came from this scene as well.

Thank you for all the tips and info provided here. I will definitively check those resources as I am out of my depth here with this genre of music. Here in the USA we consume a lot of rock music and metal in the less extreme genres. I always look to learn from people for across the globe as taste and styles differ a lot even in the age of Internet information sharing. Thank you again.
hi! it sound great!

did you use midi tempo track? did you think it was accurate? i can't get it aligned completely, there's always some part which is off by 1/8 or 1/16. or my math is just that rusty. ^_^
(14-04-2020, 04:53 PM)kapu Wrote: hi! it sound great!

did you use midi tempo track? did you think it was accurate? i can't get it aligned completely, there's always some part which is off by 1/8 or 1/16. or my math is just that rusty. ^_^

Yeah as I mentioned in my original post the provided tempo map is off. I'm gonna post the one that I wrote myself on the original post then. Feel free to use it. Let me know if there's a problem it's my first time exporting a MIDI file, but I tested it on a blank project and it works fine (Logic Pro X). Have fun.

Also, thanks for the compliment. Looking forward to hearing your mix, too.
(15-04-2020, 03:23 PM)bcs_mix Wrote: Yeah as I mentioned [...]

thanks! sorry for inconvenience, i didnt undestand completely. large thanks for midi map. ^_^