Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alone With You. . . again
So, I haven't mixed this song since it was put on here, but I was talking to Justin this morning and he made me want to come back to this song. . . so here I am!

I kept the volume pretty far down, as it's truly a mix, not a faux master or anything.

I think it's a pretty solid mix this time around!

Draper

.mp3    alone with you 2_r1_session.mp3 --  (Download: 12.84 MB)

Hi!

I decided to delete my initial comment as I wanted to spend a little more time with this mix... I felt I wanted to take more time to consider my thoughts properly. I figure you got the email notification though!

Basically I really don't think I understand the mix balance. To me the bass and snare dominate the guitars too much in the intro.

I feel the snare is too prominent during the chorus and to me it pushes the vocal back, when I feel I want the chorus vocal to come to the fore a bit more, compared to the verses? I think I get it that the snare is being used to add a bit more weight and excitement for the chorus, but maybe it's bit too forward? It really pushes the vocal back, especially so for the second half of the chorus to me. I think I feel the same for the guitar solo too? Not sure the snare should be the main focus? I dunno, I really feel I am missing something here perhaps? The breaths in the vocal were a touch loud for me also. The verses feel fine, but I'm not sure how it balances with the chorus and the solo bit. This mix has me really confused I think. Help!

Cheers!

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey mike!

I can understand completely why you might be confused about the mix! I think the thing that might be helpful is that I know Justin well, and know what a lot of his musical influences are. He is a huge fan on 80's and 90's R&B, as well as many other genres, but with him being a dancer, he has always taken a lot of influence from the style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZydtG3...Am&index=3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_BTEFAV...m&index=12

This was kind of what I was going for with this mix. I didn't reference this directly, but this is the idea I had in my head (or at least a facsimile) The guitars feel less like a prominent feature, and more feels like context. The bass really propels the motion of the song, along with the drums, imo. Also, in context of the song, it definitely feels like a song that would focus on bodily movement. . .if you get what I'm saying. It's not so important during the chorus what the words reeeally are, as much as they provide the feel that I'm after. A nice. . .rhythmic. . .intimate. . . .song.

I hope that provides clarity in my choices of the mix, and thanks so much for asking questions. Your criticism is absolutely valid in terms of audibility of hearing every syllable. I just wasn't so worried about lyrical content as I was emotion of the song.

Draper

P.S. forgot to turn on email subscription for this thread, so your first post now belongs to the ether.
Hi!

Ah gotcha.

Thanks for being so understanding regarding my comments. I was a bit hesitant to air my thoughts and figured I might be in for a bit of an education Blush.

Dunno about 90's (kind of on from Teddy Riley, Jam & Lewis I guess) but I'm sure I have some 80's Loose Ends, and also some Mary J Blige CD's knocking around somewhere. Jill Scott, Erykah Badu.... Some really tight mixes about for the R&B stuff. Kind of Pensado territory I suppose. (Actually we got All Saints, and Atomic Kitten in the UK in the 90s Big Grin).

I think I got the vibe ok - I went for a more laid back, smooth, intimate, vocal upfront feel for my go at this. Kind of up close right in your ear thing. Well that was my intent anyway - which I suppose must have influenced my thoughts a bit I guess. (I do really try my best to listen to other mixes as their own thing though).

Appreciate you taking the time and also for sorting out some reference tracks. I might have to give this track another go with the 90's R&B vibe in mind.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!