Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magician's Nephew - Symphony Of Silence
Hi,

Gave it a shot.

Cheers!

Update: Added mix 1.1 - Started again from scratch...
Update: Added mix 1.2 - Added some polish.
Update: Re-uploaded mix 1.2 with minor tweaks. Many thanks for the suggestions Roy.

.mp3    Magicians Nephew - Symphony Of Silence.mp3 --  (Download: 6.91 MB)

.mp3    Magicians Nephew - Symphony Of Silence 1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.91 MB)

.mp3    Magicians Nephew - Symphony Of Silence 1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.91 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi Mikej! good atempt, its heavy sounding atleast so thats good. The best thing i found in the mix is the disted vox, it sounds cool. I think you have to much bass in this mix. The guitars are veeeery fluffy in the lower spectrum. The whole mix sounds like theres a lid on it, don't be afraid to have some higher freqs in there exept the hats, it wont alter the deeper sounds, more enhancing them.
You need to tame the 100-150hz boom. overall the low end needs to be more tight.
Hi!

Thanks for the comments. Taking them on board and going to give it another go Smile.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Yeah, there's some compression pumping/flattening going on that can be dialed back quite a bit. I'm pretty sure it's getting hit by the kick so taming lows might help it but the parameters/threshold might need to be tweaked.
Hi!

Yes, you are completely correct. I've decided to start this again from scratch. Now I have a better idea of where I want to go with this, I am trying to achieve what I want with a lighter touch, concentrating on balance and light eq first before forcing things too much with compression, etc, and getting into a mess... So far working harder on the balance seems to be getting me better results than over compressing and limiting things, but there is certainly plently of scope yet for me to mess it up again... Big Grin.

Cheers!
Sometimes starting again from scratch is the best idea.
Hi!

Ok, gave it another shot...

Mix 1.1 added.

Cheers!
Yeah, Mix 1.1 is an improvement. I think everything sounds fine. I have no complaints with what I'm hearing. Maybe more snare? I dunno. I want something more from the bass. It fills the space ok but I'm missing it as a part. The vocal is a little sibilant. It's the nature of the part since "S" features so predominantly in the lyrics. It doesn't' bother me really but it's something to keep an eye on. Ear. I do like the extra energy in the chorus. It's a little subtle but I feel it.

That a said, overall while I think for the most part the body of the mix is there it needs....something. I'm being vague partially to not bias your thinking but also because I don't know but it's such a heavy, plodding song that it needs something to keep the listener engaged. It could be an effect or a part that I'm not hearing or isn't even there. Or just the bass part standing out more. In "We Will Rock You" it's Freddy Mercury's voice. On this one the distortion on the vocal blends it in with the band, which is fine. but harmonically it's fairly static and for the listener it all blends together. So playing off of that might add something. Frequency wise it's all pretty full so there isn't that much room to work with. They you can consider the time axis, as it were, which might work well against the brontosaurus rhythm. Or might fight it and through everything off. Also, listening again it's pretty mono. having a part that jumps out a bit on the far edges might create something interesting.

Keep in mind that I'm completely talking out of my [redacted] and it might all be bull[redacted]. But it's a good mix. It just needs something else. That's isn't so much a flaw of the mix but also the arrangement. Again it could be an effect or even just level adjustments/automation. It's just a big, well cooked burger and it could use something else to help add some depth.

Hope that helps
[redacted]

Edit: I'm a little worried that there's an assumption I'm speaking somewhat specifically. I'm thinking more generally and trying to spark the thought "how can this mix be taken to the next level". And that can be by adding or subtracting or whatever. Ultimately I just want to present the idea that - while it's a good mix - how can it (or any mix) be better and why.
Hi!

Many thanks for taking the time to check it out and offer some advice, it's much appreciated. All good points.

Yeah I understood what you were getting at with regard to getting it to the next level. You always put your thoughts across really well.

I did try the 0.5db up and down thing with the master fader, and some subtle widening during the chorus. I'm thinking it could be a lot more anthemic if I can figure it out, as it seems to be sounding that way to me.

The vocal is quite tough. I feel I normally do just about ok with vocals, but you are right I need to ssspend a bit more time on the sssymphony of sssilence. I admit to giving up a bit to soon on it there. The distortion probably isn't helping much with that either.

Good call with the Mono thing too. I had that 'big mono' thing in my head as I was merrily panning the guitars and doubles left and right.... and did nothing about it Smile. You are right though, that does give some opportunity for some contrast.

Listening through again with your suggestions in mind I think I am figuring out bits I can highlight, etc. I am also thinking it might be beneficial to go and listen to some music for a bit too, to collect some ideas.

Thanks for the new perspective on things, I think it's got what's left of my brain ticking over again...

Cheers!