Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eddie Garrido: 'Scarlett'_mix Tommy Marcinek
AngelAngelAngel

Fun mixing this one. Some challenges in the sense that it's difficult to make all the digital drums and other parts sound natural. Having to deal with a stereo drum track was a challenge because the snare had that fake sounding ring and reverb, the hi hat was just too loud and high-endy, and the snare fill track....well I had to find a sample that was similar to the snare in the stereo drum track. I did not have to add any other samples as I was able to make the kick in the drum track sound decent while dealing with all the other issues just mentioned. As to everything else I added some nice delays and otherwise had lots fun playing around with making this song gel and sound cohesive. I like the final result. Enjoy.

Tom

.mp3    Scarlett_5M.mp3 --  (Download: 7.89 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
very rythmic grove you got going on. I enjoyed it.
(03-04-2020, 06:42 AM)Shul Wrote: very rythmic grove you got going on. I enjoyed it.

---------

Thanks Shul....much appreciated.

Tom
Hey man... in my opinion its way too much compressed. I can hear the pumping triggered by the drums in a not very pleasant way... nice vibe though!
(08-04-2020, 08:13 PM)vitorrls Wrote: Hey man... in my opinion its way too much compressed. I can hear the pumping triggered by the drums in a not very pleasant way... nice vibe though!

--------------------------
No, what you hear is side-chain ducking of the synth pad which I did purposely to create that pumping. The pumping is only on the pad, nothing else. If you heard it, then I accomplished what I intended. I wanted to see how that technique (used mainly in Dance/Club music) would sound in this genre. It is questionable whether it is good or bad. Frankly, I myself, after hearing my own mix, question whether it works to do something positive to the mix or not. But, I appreciate your observation and thanks for your input.

Tom
P.S. If you are not familiar with the technique here is a brief explanation: First, according to the locked timing of the song I created a dummy kick track where the kick only hits on quarter notes. Then I set the track "pre-fade" (not post-fade) and turn the volume all the way down on it so it doesn't play in the song. Then you take a compressor on the synth pad track, click on the side chain option, and then adjust the compressor to taste for the amount of "ducking" you want to pad to do which is "triggered" by the side chain kick track. That's how it's done.

Hi,

Had a quick listen.

For me also this mix does sound too 'pumpy' and energetic. This is supposed to be a more chilled and relaxing style, no? Latin Jazz & Easy Listening? For me anyway I feel it is a touch too much energy here. I also feel that the slightly electronic sound is part and parcel of the genre too. Not sure that the drums not sounding natural is an issue.

It's quite tough to get the right balance I think for this genre. My attempt at this needs to be a lot more laid back too I feel. Did you check out any of the musc/videos on his web page? Pretty cool stuff I thought.

Anyway, you have a mix of opinion here, not sure it helps much to add my thoughts Smile.

Take care.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(09-04-2020, 04:45 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

Had a quick listen.

For me also this mix does sound too 'pumpy' and energetic. This is supposed to be a more chilled and relaxing style, no? Latin Jazz & Easy Listening? For me anyway I feel it is a touch too much energy here. I also feel that the slightly electronic sound is part and parcel of the genre too. Not sure that the drums not sounding natural is an issue.

It's quite tough to get the right balance I think for this genre. My attempt at this needs to be a lot more laid back too I feel. Did you check out any of the musc/videos on his web page? Pretty cool stuff I thought.

Anyway, you have a mix of opinion here, not sure it helps much to add my thoughts Smile.

Take care.

Cheers!

-------------
Mike,

Yes, I agree with much of what you said. I was just experimenting to see what I could "create" from these tracks/song. I am currently mixing a project for a latin jazz artist and he likes the heavy energy in the genre....of course neither he nor I are Latino and so our "ears" are accustomed to our western energy in our modern music. Just some of my own thoughts on the whole subject.

Later,

Tom

Apologies, I guess on reflection I did qualify my thoughts badly I suppose.

Thanks for the perspective.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(09-04-2020, 08:49 PM)mikej Wrote: Apologies, I guess on reflection I did qualify my thoughts badly I suppose.

Thanks for the perspective.

Cheers!

-------------
No need to apologize. Getting people's perspectives, comments, and opinions is what this site is all about. It's what makes us all better at our craft.

Peace,

Tom