Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
it was a drag
OK, I'm not a huge fan of this particular song, but that's nothing to do with the artist.

Now, the mix is pretty straight forward. Who ever made these tracks should be complimentet, because they are nice to work with. I am not a huge fan of the drum micing ... but on the other side, I never am Wink

.mp3    The Long Wait - Drag v1.mp3 --  (Download: 14.51 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Aqustic guitars are a bit muddy.Bg and lead vocals are acting loudly and widely but you miss the beat.Lead vocal is swimming in the reverb.You can control your reverb with a compressor.Lead vocal’s low frequencies are low .Hope that helps to you .Cheers !
Hi

Thanks for your input.

The vocal levels ARE on the loud side, which is unintended. But, rather that than the opposite.

The vocal IS swimming in verb, that's intentional, but I'm guessing that you mainly hear the short delay, and you confuse that with verb ... but as I said, I'm guessing ...

I do not find the acoustic guitar muddy. However, it is also swimming in verb which of course decreases ...well, guitar intelligibility. Perhaps it could've been a tad brigther, not be confused with thinner, but I don't see how that would change anything in terms of muddiness. On the other side, in it's current state, it's a fairly accurate reproduction of a acoustic guitar, with almost worn-out strings. The intention was a accurate reproduction of an acoustic guitar, which I've got. The worn-out strings aren't intentional.

A more aggressive use of HPF on the vocal will lead to a nasal and unaturally thin sounding vocal. I want to reproduce the vocal as close to the recording as possible. The HPF is set exactely where it removes low rumbles, but still keeps the full colour of her vocal.

#nosubnoshow
Interesting. I don't find the vocals to be loud at all. In fact, I want more vocals. All of the other parts feel fairly big and to me the vocals don't match up. They feel like an element as opposed to the focus of the song. After a listen I can't remember any of the lyrics besides the fact that she uses an F word and I blushed.
To be honest, I think, the truth is that I've done a poor job balancing each part, so the vocal seems loud some places, while it drowns in others

#nosubnoshow
(06-04-2020, 02:38 PM)Krabbe Wrote: To be honest, I think, the truth is that I've done a poor job balancing each part, so the vocal seems loud some places, while it drowns in others
Meh. Maybe. The vocal level does stand out in some spots as opposed to others.
I actually think that I messed around with it, but concluded that it was odd with either music or vocal level moving up and down like an elevator, so I took the one-size-fits-no-one-shirt Big Grin

#nosubnoshow
Automation will help greatly with keeping things tight.