Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eddie Garrido - Scarlett
Hmm. Gave it a go Big Grin.

Update 1.0:

Decided to re visit - A few things were bothering me and I wanted to try and make it a bit smoother.

As the raw tracks are so good, I have found that this is a really great track to experiment with. Things like balance and different plugins, etc, as you can really hear what is going on. I feel you really do have to tread carefully to hopefully enhance what is there to taste, rather than making things subjectively worse.

- Fixed clashing snares in the drum & loop track that was really bugging me on every other snare hit.
- Re balanced the mix to attempt to get a more smooth mix.
- Touch of eq and compression here and there to smooth out the bass and hi-hat, etc.
- Tried to add some hopefully subtle overall ambience on the mix bus as I have never tried this before, but felt it might work here. I think it might make it a touch too warm (I did eq out the low end of the reverb) but I quite like the overall effect I think.

Update: 1.1 - Different limiter, not hit quite as hard...

Cheers!

.mp3    Eddie Garrido - Scarlett.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

.mp3    Eddie Garrido - Scarlett 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

.mp3    Eddie Garrido - Scarlett 1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I like the tone of your bass.. sounds very full.
Hi!

Thanks for the listen and comments.

I am thinking today that the low bass might need to be tamed a bit with a touch of C6 or something on the low end? I am also feeling the need to do something about the hi-hat. Also I suspect that first solo needs to be sweetened a touch too or something? Maybe needs a touch more tape/tube/analog style bus processing or similar?. It's a really tough challenge to get that 'Jeff Lorber' really smooth yet present sound, especially in the midrange. I think Jeff mixes his stuff on an SSL so might be a direction to try there I guess with this. This is a really great musical track. I need to give it another try.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi,

Ok, gave it another go. Mix 1.0 added. Added some notes in first post.

Cheers!
Smooth, Mike. Very nice.
Using some reverb on the master buss was a good thought for this to put everything together. I only put reverb on the bass so I could get it to lay better against the exiting effects and to give a bit more depth with the volume I wanted.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi!

Thanks for giving it a listen. I might be able to get it a bit more smooth, we'll see...

Can't remember which mix it was, but I recall you mentioned that you detected some pumping, or similar. From a few other comments I think the limiter I was using was causing me some issues that I didn't spot. I used the same one on this mix, so you've given me an idea to swap it out for something else.

Cheers!
Not really a fair or controlled test, but 1.1 is a different limiter, and a little more sensible I think?

1.0 is -11.8. LUFS, loudness range 3.1, dBTP +0.5 (!)
1.1 is -14.6 LUFS, loudness range 3.1, dbTB -0.1

Cheers!
Hey,

the 1.1 version sounds very nice, it was really interesting to listen to your mix