Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed
So I came across these tracks. They're ok to work with and the arrangement is fairly simple, so it isn't in any way a busy mix. However, I find myself challenged by getting the vocal to sit correctly in the mix. Right now I've landed here, but it hasn't got the exact right feel about it. What am I doing wrong?

Edit v2:
I've dialed back guitars and added level automation on the vocals

Edit v3
Added limiter on guitars and vocals to enhance intelligibility

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames v2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.4 MB)

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames v3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.4 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Right now, they're really buried. I think the guitars have to come back and the vocals can come up. But since both those changes have to be made it's hard to say how much. The guitars definitely have to come back though. I suspect there's more fundamental balance issues but that's what jumps out at me presently.
Thanks.

Yeah, the guitars are kinda loud, aren't they? Confused

I think the engery is kind of a challenge, but that may come down to poor balancing. Also, I find the vocal tracks a bit of a challenge, which is odd, because the dyncamic range isn't ... extreme, and the track themselves are ok.

Well, I've dialed back the guitars - but maybe not engough? - and added some automation on the vocals. All in all, I think it got me closer to something useful.

Thanks for your advise. As usual, very helpfull

(29-03-2020, 12:03 AM)RoyM Wrote: Right now, they're really buried. I think the guitars have to come back and the vocals can come up. But since both those changes have to be made it's hard to say how much. The guitars definitely have to come back though. I suspect there's more fundamental balance issues but that's what jumps out at me presently.

#nosubnoshow
I still feel like the vocals aren't in the forefront. It kinda works in the chorus.

Don't think sonically. Think emotionally. Think about the listener. Always think about the listener.

People seek a voice in music.

I fully admit I might still be drunk. Imma drink some coffee.
Thanks again.

What I find to be a challenge here is that I don't want the verse vocals to be more powerfull that the chorus, and by further raising verse vocals, I will get that exact effect. At certain points the verse vocal is really low, and when I try to raise just those places, it just feels weird. The chorus vocal isn't nearly as powerfull, but there's a couple of tracks with DTs, which obviously adds some power. To make a long story short, I don't like it when the vocal levels are rollercoasting too much, and they will in this song, if I'm not carefull ...

Thanks for the advise, it has helped

#nosubnoshow
Hi!

I am likely the last person in the world you want to listen to with regard to tips for this track... Big Grin

I listened to V3. I think you can bring the guitars up more to kind of bridge the gap between the drums and the vocal, then balance the vocal to the guitars and drums. Kind of a 3 way fight, but more so between the guitars and vox. I have a feeling you might have to dig in and possibly automate the guitars and vocal all the way through to keep the balance. Bit more like the balance of the mix by 'FlowAD' in this thread I think (as an aside it seems they did the one mix and never returned so far....) I think all the parts in your mix are in the right shape, and I think your drums are more than powerful enough to cut through louder guitars. Not sure if this is of any use?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi Mike

Thank you so much for your input Smile

I absolutely see what you mean.

Due to lack of space, I've deleted both showfile and tracks, so can't make another version Sad However, I will definitly keep your advise in mind for the next time I'm gonna do metal Smile

Thannk you Smile

(31-03-2020, 03:04 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

I am likely the last person in the world you want to listen to with regard to tips for this track... Big Grin

I listened to V3. I think you can bring the guitars up more to kind of bridge the gap between the drums and the vocal, then balance the vocal to the guitars and drums. Kind of a 3 way fight, but more so between the guitars and vox. I have a feeling you might have to dig in and possibly automate the guitars and vocal all the way through to keep the balance. Bit more like the balance of the mix by 'FlowAD' in this thread I think (as an aside it seems they did the one mix and never returned so far....) I think all the parts in your mix are in the right shape, and I think your drums are more than powerful enough to cut through louder guitars. Not sure if this is of any use?

Cheers!

#nosubnoshow
Hi,

No worries - these sessons can quickly start using up a fair bit of space if you have a few of them. Not sure if it is helpful or not, but I thought the audio for the live tracks from Judas Priest - Live At The Seminole Hard Rock Arena from a few years ago that is on their channel on youtube is pretty good.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
2 words

Parallel Compression
yeah?
Since I already am, I'd like to know, what you mean?

(31-03-2020, 05:33 PM)Retchid Gretchin Wrote: 2 words

Parallel Compression

#nosubnoshow