Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amy Helm - Rescue Me
Thought I would try to mix this and try out a new technique i had read about. I would appreciate any comments or critiques.

.mp3    Amy Helm - Rescue Me.01.mp3 --  (Download: 6.35 MB)

I'm curious about any new techniques.

The mix works. The vocal is a little sibilant. I think it could be a little warmer, maybe? There's something about the mids (maybe the 1-3k region?) that feel brittle. I wish its level was more consistent and it was a hair more forward. Especially right from the first couple of lines. It just doesn't catch me. It could be 'bigger'
The BGVs are a little indistinct.

If I remember correctly this was a live recording so I get that brings some difficulties with some tracks.

I like the bass.

The overall balances feel good.
(25-03-2020, 02:14 AM)RoyM Wrote: I'm curious about any new techniques.

The mix works. The vocal is a little sibilant. I think it could be a little warmer, maybe? There's something about the mids (maybe the 1-3k region?) that feel brittle. I wish its level was more consistent and it was a hair more forward. Especially right from the first couple of lines. It just doesn't catch me. It could be 'bigger'

If I remember correctly this was a live recording so I get that brings some difficulties with some tracks.

I like the bass.

Thank you for taking the time to write a critique. I appreciate it. I was using dynamic EQ on the lead vocal to tame it a bit. 3.2k fairy aggressive. Pulled out some resonant frequencies and did a bax style low end boost. Maybe still bright/hard. Cleaned up the BVs and did some hi cut to minimize drum bleed as well. Was looking to highlight the chord/harmony and let the lead have the articulation.

The new techniques are just new to me. I am mixing through a buss compressor set fast attack and fast release 2:1 90% wet. And mixing through an eq with very slight narrow cuts in the mid and low mids.

Thank you again for the comments. -BP

(25-03-2020, 03:20 AM)BingePurge Wrote:

I like the bass.

Thank you for taking the time to write a critique. I appreciate it. I was using dynamic EQ on the lead vocal to tame it a bit. 3.2k fairy aggressive. Pulled out some resonant frequencies and did a bax style low end boost. Maybe still bright/hard. Cleaned up the BVs and did some hi cut to minimize drum bleed as well. Was looking to highlight the chord/harmony and let the lead have the articulation.

The new techniques are just new to me. I am mixing through a buss compressor set fast attack and fast release 2:1 90% wet. And mixing through an eq with very slight narrow cuts in the mid and low mids.

It's a fine mix. I downloaded the song last night and gave it a shot. She has some issues with her voice on that dynamic mic. Definitely in the 3k range but also in the 1khz range as well. I don't remember where I cut. Probably in the 1.5k range since there's also issues at 3k.

Keep trying new stuff!

Cheers.
(25-03-2020, 01:09 PM)RoyM Wrote:
(25-03-2020, 03:20 AM)BingePurge Wrote:

I like the bass.

It's a fine mix. I downloaded the song last night and gave it a shot. She has some issues with her voice on that dynamic mic. Definitely in the 3k range but also in the 1khz range as well. I don't remember where I cut. Probably in the 1.5k range since there's also issues at 3k.

Keep trying new stuff!

Cheers.

I put a touch of Gullfoss EQ on the lead vocal to tame things a bit. Just can't use too much of it or it will create anomalies. -BP
Hi

Overall it's a nice mix, it's well balanced and pleasant to listen to.

I like panning, but considering there only guitar and a little mandolin, maybe I think that hard panning's a little too aggressive?

The vocals could need more work. Her vocal is oddly thin and the background vocals are a bit too pulled back.

Well done.
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
(26-03-2020, 10:05 AM)Krabbe Wrote: Hi

Overall it's a nice mix, it's well balanced and pleasant to listen to.

I like panning, but considering there only guitar and a little mandolin, maybe I think that hard panning's a little too aggressive?

The vocals could need more work. Her vocal is oddly thin and the background vocals are a bit too pulled back.

Well done.

Thank you for the critique. Especially the panning. You are right on. It doesn't really make sense. I wanted to stay away from a monoish mix. I did a short filtered echo of the guitar and panned it pretty hard right to make it feel less disconnected. However, the mandolin is kinda on its own island. It should be mostly centered with Amy. I will take another shot at it in a few days. I will address the panning, Amy's tone and the backing vocals. Thank you for taking the time to listen and write your thoughts. -BP