Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great track and great song
This was enjoyable. I find the track easy to work with. The band's great and the song is absolutely awesome.

About the mix ... there's not much to say. I think it was pretty straight forward. As mentioned I really wanted to give the drums a little more volume, but ultimately I've come to the conclusion that this is - give or take - what I think a pop song to be sounding like.

Still, tips, tricks and comments are most welcomed Smile

Edit v2
I've brought forward the drums and chorus vox

.mp3    James Elder & Mark M. Thompson - The English Actor.mp3 --  (Download: 7.69 MB)

.mp3    James Elder & Mark M. Thompson - The English Actor v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.69 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
I think it could use more drums. Especially considering there's no bass until the first chorus it feels a little empty. They feel in the background compared to the synths. I want to say the synths feel loud but that's all there really is at the start besides the drums and it feels like the drums should come up to support the synths as opposed to the synths being brought down.

The bass feels fine.

The verse vocals work. The chorus vocals are a bit buried compared to the verse. They should come up to match the verse vocal but all to help give the chorus a lift. I'm a fan of panning things wide but I think the chorus vocals might work better centered or panned slightly. They also get masked by the guitars. They would anchor the center of the image and give them their own sonic real-estate.

I think that's it. It feels like overall it could use more "oomph"
(23-03-2020, 03:32 AM)RoyM Wrote: I think it could use more drums. Especially considering there's no bass until the first chorus it feels a little empty. They feel in the background compared to the synths. I want to say the synths feel loud but that's all there really is at the start besides the drums and it feels like the drums should come up to support the synths as opposed to the synths being brought down.

The bass feels fine.

The verse vocals work. The chorus vocals are a bit buried compared to the verse. They should come up to match the verse vocal but all to help give the chorus a lift. I'm a fan of panning things wide but I think the chorus vocals might work better centered or panned slightly. They also get masked by the guitars. They would anchor the center of the image and give them their own sonic real-estate.

I think that's it. It feels like overall it could use more "oomph"

Thanks for your valuable input.

Yeah, as I wrote, I wanted to give it more drums, but on the other hand, I didn't wanna over-do it, so I guess, I've landed somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

I see your point regarding the chorus, and I did actually think quite a bit about that during the mixing process. I think that the chorus level is because the vox were called background vox, so I blended them a little more than I'd do with a lead vocal to make them seem ... well, background-like.

Just to clearify, the synths weren't being brought down after the introduction of the rest of the instruments Wink However, I abolutely see what you mean, but I think it will be rectified if the drums were pulled more forward in the mix ...

At some point, I'll probably make a v2. Please check it out, when time comes.

Again, thank you for your input. It's much appreciated
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow