Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice tracks + busy mix = challenges
These tracks were really nice, and my initial thought was that this was gonna be a walk in the park ... yeah, I'm that dumb.

This particular song is great, because it has so many option. You can really take it in many different directions end up with completely different result. I like that.

Now, my mix is ... well, "busy", isn't wrong. I have to admit that I've really struggled with levels and energy on this one.

Edit v2:
Following some nice advise, I've made some alterations.

I've pulled forward the vocals and retracted the guitar solo a bit. Furthermore, I've, tried to get a better definition between loop 3 and the the synth, and then I've tried to glue it all a little better on the master bus.

.mp3    Ruby Roads - Rat Race.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

.mp3    Ruby Roads - Rat Race v2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Hey,

Good try on this! Yeah it is a bit of a challenge.

I would like the vocal to be abit more upfront as it is the only element that the ear can hook on to, not so much of a volume thing perhaps more of a frequency and dynamic thingy.

Perhaps the elements can use bit more glue?

I like the drums. The guitar solo sounded nice, except it might have taken too much attention from the vocal.

Smile

(20-03-2020, 12:19 PM)Krabbe Wrote: These tracks were really nice, and my initial thought was that this was gonna be a walk in the park ... yeah, I'm that dumb.

This particular song is great, because it has so many option. You can really take it in many different directions end up with completely different result. I like that.

Now, my mix is ... well, "busy", isn't wrong. I have to admit that I've really struggled with levels and energy on this one.

(21-03-2020, 04:53 AM)eggshell Wrote: Hey,

Good try on this! Yeah it is a bit of a challenge.

I would like the vocal to be abit more upfront as it is the only element that the ear can hook on to, not so much of a volume thing perhaps more of a frequency and dynamic thingy.

Perhaps the elements can use bit more glue?

I like the drums. The guitar solo sounded nice, except it might have taken too much attention from the vocal.

Smile

(20-03-2020, 12:19 PM)Krabbe Wrote: These tracks were really nice, and my initial thought was that this was gonna be a walk in the park ... yeah, I'm that dumb.

Hi

Thank you for your input. Much obliged.

I had the same thought about the guitars as you, but on the other hand, I like guitar, and ... well, it is a rock song ... However, I am leaning more and more towards your opinion, so I am thinking of rectifying that.

Vocal's always an x-factor to me. I like clear cut vocals, because vocals are THE main instrument. Often I hold back a little on the vocals, because I know I want 'em in front, but also, I don't want to risk drowning anything else out, because I like vocals.

I haven't done nohting but applying a light EQ and a light compression ( between -1 and -2 dB) on the master bus, because I am not a mastering engineer, so basically I wouldn't be knowing what I'm doing. I see what you mean on this point, and I will have that in mind here on out.
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow