Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A great man pointed me in this direction
OK, so I was recommeded to check out this song.

There's really not much to say. It was pretty straight forward, nice tracks, lots of options, and generally it was fairly easy to get a hold on.

I think I'm OK happy with most of the result ... there is something about the snare drum that doesn't feel quite right ...

Well, tips, tricks and comments are much obliged.

Edit v2:
OK, so after some brilliant advise, I've increase snare volume, and gave the drums some NY-love and increased the verb. Also, I've rolled back the bass, which were massive and I've rolled back the vocals a little bit, but maybe even too much?

Hi hat and cymbals are still a bit ... uneven. Most of it is bleed and OH's, and if I turn donw OH's, I loose crash cymbals, which also would be ... not great.

Well, I think I'm closer to something useful now ...

Edit v3:
Following some great advise, I've pulled forward the kick, bottom snare, OHs and lead vocal. Besides that I have tried to bring more skin to the toms rolled back the guitar and generally raised FXs volume. On the master bus I've tried to glue things more together. I think it got me even closer to a useful result.

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want.mp3 --  (Download: 8.84 MB)

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want - v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.84 MB)

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want - v3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.84 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
the mix feels bass-heavy, which seems to affect the drums. Maybe pull back the bass and pull up the snare drum?
"Es wird immer weiter geh'n, Musik als Traeger von Ideen." ~ Kraftwerk
Hi Krabbe,

I agree with Yoda. A bit bass-heavy. The snare feels really small. I don't think it's only a loudness issue. Maybe experiment with a little reverb? Maybe also back up on the hats a bit to bring the snare more to the front in comparison?

Overall I like the direction you're headed!

Cheers

Andi
(19-03-2020, 06:56 PM)Yoda.Earth Wrote: the mix feels bass-heavy, which seems to affect the drums. Maybe pull back the bass and pull up the snare drum?

Thank you so much.

#nosubnoshow
(20-03-2020, 08:30 AM)Devilskater666 Wrote: Hi Krabbe,

I agree with Yoda. A bit bass-heavy. The snare feels really small. I don't think it's only a loudness issue. Maybe experiment with a little reverb? Maybe also back up on the hats a bit to bring the snare more to the front in comparison?

Overall I like the direction you're headed!

Cheers

Andi

Thank you so much. It was very helpfull.

#nosubnoshow
I listened to version 2. A couple of things jump out at me. The guitar feels a bit loud and distracts from the rest of the band. I'm usually a fan of panning but since it's on the right it disconnects it from the band. It feels like a part on top of the mix if that helps.

The drums feel a little...weak? I like the 'pop' of the snare (maybe that's the NY on it) but it could use more of the bottom snares to give it more complexity. The kick is a bit small I think the cymbal crashes are fine though a little more can't hurt. The hat and ride levels feel ok. The 'skins' could just be a bigger with a more space. Maybe it's the parallel compression that could be rebalanced.

The bass might be loud but I'm on earbuds and I can never be 100% Though I think it works and I think bass is important to a song like this.

Keys seem fine. I'm not sure if they could use some hi-pass or it's just the bass and keys working together. Vocals feel good but again get overshadowed by the guitar. I like the delay effect. The BgVox are fine. There is some noise before they come in that could be cut but that's minor.

Overall it feels good but could use some tweaks.
(21-03-2020, 02:06 AM)RoyM Wrote: I listened to version 2. A couple of things jump out at me. The guitar feels a bit loud and distracts from the rest of the band. I'm usually a fan of panning but since it's on the right it disconnects it from the band. It feels like a part on top of the mix if that helps.

The drums feel a little...weak? I like the 'pop' of the snare (maybe that's the NY on it) but it could use more of the bottom snares to give it more complexity. The kick is a bit small I think the cymbal crashes are fine though a little more can't hurt. The hat and ride levels feel ok. The 'skins' could just be a bigger with a more space. Maybe it's the parallel compression that could be rebalanced.

The bass might be loud but I'm on earbuds and I can never be 100% Though I think it works and I think bass is important to a song like this.

Keys seem fine. I'm not sure if they could use some hi-pass or it's just the bass and keys working together. Vocals feel good but again get overshadowed by the guitar. I like the delay effect. The BgVox are fine. There is some noise before they come in that could be cut but that's minor.

Overall it feels good but could use some tweaks.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

I know, I forgot to cut out BGvox noise. I guess that I got so carried away by this great song that I totally forgot.

You are absolutely right about the drums and guitar. I had the same feeling, when I re-listened to the song. I am glad that you agree Smile

Again, thank you for your time. It was really helpfull.

#nosubnoshow