Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first Mix here on Cambridge MT! Candlebox-Surrounding
Hi guys, these hard times made me want to come back to mix some stuff on Pro Tools.

I am purely a Livesound engineer and haven't mixed a song in "studio" in ages!
I struggled with the vocal quite a lot beacuase of the proximity effect, and maybe it needs more work.

I'd love to hear some comments and advices.

Cheers

.mp3    Candlebox - Surrounding [Master].mp3 --  (Download: 8.95 MB)

Your Pat mix doesn't sound bad. But the treble sounds very artificial.
Have you tried the Acustica Audio plugins? Equalizers like Waves or Fabfilter sound very bad when you have to add, they are usually used as a subtractive equalizer.
If you download the Acustica Audio installer called Aquarius, you have several free equalizers that sound really good.
They consume a lot of resources, but if your sequencer allows it, you can go rendering the tracks.
I am not advertising anyone, but it is the best thing I have tried so far.
Greetings
Compresor de bus SSL, Gates Sta-Level, Dbx 160x, UA 1176, Bae 1073, Lomo Up27, Ear 822Q, IGS Tubecore Mastering Edition, Lexicon PCM 70, Ferrofish A16, SSL Six, Studer Revox B77, Yamaha HS8
Ehy Tete, thank you so much for you reply.

I have only used Steven Slate plugins, as they are the only ones that I own, at the moment. I will definitely going to try these Acoustica Audio plugins. Thank for your siggestion.

I'd love to know as well, what you actually mean for "artificial". Can you explain that bit more deeply?
From what I understand, in analog equipment and especially valves. There are infinite electrical variations that nowadays you need a very powerful program and computer to imitate those changes, which are 0's and 1's. And the majority of plugins are not prepared for so much information and imitate these variations in an incorrect way, and they usually sound unrealistic. So there are plugins that some sound better than others. Especially in the high registers.
I like the Pink and Pink 2 eq's from Acustica, Trinity and Azure.
Compresor de bus SSL, Gates Sta-Level, Dbx 160x, UA 1176, Bae 1073, Lomo Up27, Ear 822Q, IGS Tubecore Mastering Edition, Lexicon PCM 70, Ferrofish A16, SSL Six, Studer Revox B77, Yamaha HS8
Well don Pat,
First i thought the drums are a bit too bright, but your tonality decisions make the fit good with the rest of track. Good Work
(20-03-2020, 06:24 PM)Lethan Wrote: Well don Pat,
First i thought the drums are a bit too bright, but your tonality decisions make the fit good with the rest of track. Good Work

Thanks buddy. I'm listening to the mix now after some weeks. I think the vocal is a bit out of the mix and I would definitely change it. lol