Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate poor drum recordings!
(18-03-2020, 04:02 PM)RoyM Wrote: I'm messing with this now and the drums don't strike me as being that bad. Or at least not hard to work with. I'm not using the "main mics". I don't know how it was recorded at all but I'm assuming the Kick/Snare mic it probably a mic under the snare that also picking up some kick. I'm not a fan of the snare as is but it's a fair sound. I've certainly heard worse drums. Living room or not. I haven't felt the need to break out samples yet.

In the end not every recording is perfect. As mixers we have to be able to work with and get the best out of all the tracks we get. This seems like a good opportunity to try to polish some tracks we find difficult.

I too have heard worse recordings. Still, it doesn't change the fact that these aren't great.

I am comming from the live business, and so is my approach to this. Therefore, I tend not to do any of the studio-nit-picking-stuff that ... well, studio guys does, and, I suppose, love. I'm a simple guy, who loves good craftmanship. To me the drum tracks are ... I guess something like this: A construction firm builds a house, which turns out to be crooked. The house is functional and you can move into it, no problem, but it is crooked as h*ll. I know that perfection isn't really an option, but ... well, I guess what I wish for is tracks, just a little bit closer to perfection.
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
(18-03-2020, 03:45 PM)Krabbe Wrote:
(18-03-2020, 02:59 PM)Mammy Wrote: I think that is not recorded in a professional studio.recorded in Living room
Nevertheless, couldn't a better mic placement have "fixed" some of the small-room-issues?

Well, in this case, you can perhaps judge for yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo9i051pbbk

I wonder whether you're trying too hard fight against the nature of the recordings themselves. Certainly the spill was intended to be an integral part of the drum sound for the most part, and I didn't do a whole lot of EQ for the preview mix, I seem to remember. Still, this kind of thing is of course a question of personal taste -- your vision for this mix is clearly quite different than mine was, but it's all good! Smile

What I can see and hear from the video is ... that's a good sounding recording considering the location the recording took place at.. the tunning of the drums.. and the execution of the kid.. place a different drummer and a different kit and this would have sounded so much different.
You work with what you got... that's it.
(18-03-2020, 11:20 PM)Mike Senior Wrote:
(18-03-2020, 02:59 PM)Mammy Wrote: I think that is not recorded in a professional studio.recorded in Living room
Nevertheless, couldn't a better mic placement have "fixed" some of the small-room-issues?

I wonder whether you're trying too hard fight against the nature of the recordings themselves. Certainly the spill was intended to be an integral part of the drum sound for the most part, and I didn't do a whole lot of EQ for the preview mix, I seem to remember. Still, this kind of thing is of course a question of personal taste -- your vision for this mix is clearly quite different than mine was, but it's all good! Smile

Maybe I am fightning the nature of recordings, I don't know Wink I come from doing live sound, where it's a lot about damage control. In studios you have the time and possibility to make the "perfect" recording ... what I am trying to say is ... well, at the end of the day, I guess that I just had been looking forward to be working with some high quality stuff.

I don't know why I don't enjoy the drum tracks. I've looked at my EQ's and they aren't completely f'ed up, and I guess the tone is OK. I don't know, maybe they aren't as bad as I feel they were, when I worked them.

#nosubnoshow
(19-03-2020, 02:01 AM)Krabbe Wrote:

Maybe I am fightning the nature of recordings, I don't know Wink I come from doing live sound, where it's a lot about damage control. In studios you have the time and possibility to make the "perfect" recording ... what I am trying to say is ... well, at the end of the day, I guess that I just had been looking forward to be working with some high quality stuff.

I don't know why I don't enjoy the drum tracks. I've looked at my EQ's and they aren't completely f'ed up, and I guess the tone is OK. I don't know, maybe they aren't as bad as I feel they were, when I worked them.

To be fair, as someone who's worked in a studio you don't really have the time to make things perfect. There's always limitations from budget, to skill of the player, to location, a bad batch of tape, to quality of the equipment and instruments, to personality, to one's own experience, to an impatient producer, to...whatever. There's a lot of reasons why a recording might not be "perfect". A mixer has to deal with any results.

There's dozens (hundreds?) of multitracks on here, all with different qualities of recordings. Keep checking out the reference mp3s, find a song you enjoy, and dive in. The nice thing about this site is there's no one watching the clock or sitting over your shoulder. If you're not feeling this one then it's ok to move on to another one.

(19-03-2020, 02:33 AM)RoyM Wrote:
(19-03-2020, 02:01 AM)Krabbe Wrote:

To be fair, as someone who's worked in a studio you don't really have the time to make things perfect. There's always limitations from budget, to skill of the player, to location, a bad batch of tape, to quality of the equipment and instruments, to personality, to one's own experience, to an impatient producer, to...whatever. There's a lot of reasons why a recording might not be "perfect". A mixer has to deal with any results.

There's dozens (hundreds?) of multitracks on here, all with different qualities of recordings. Keep checking out the reference mp3s, find a song you enjoy, and dive in. The nice thing about this site is there's no one watching the clock or sitting over your shoulder. If you're not feeling this one then it's ok to move on to another one.

I know that there're plenty of other options here. Now I just happend to dig into this one and once you start something ...

As I've said before, there's no such thing as a perfect. Obviously the ultimate goal is somewhere near perfect, but a lot happens from here to the goal line. I am aware that there are numerous factors in play when recording, and obviously we are all different people with different preferences.

In this particular case, I guess I just expected more, because ... well, I usually do live sound and even with cheap, almost Toys-R-Us-like-kits, I've had better drum sound than these particular drum recordings has. I guess, I expected a better offset. Poor mic placement and lots of bleed, I can do myself, but hey, I'm not a studio pro.

Generally speaking, it's nice with all these different multitracks, 'cause none of them are perfect, and each represents different challenges.

#nosubnoshow
(19-03-2020, 02:01 AM)Krabbe Wrote: well, at the end of the day, I guess that I just had been looking forward to be working with some high quality stuff.

If you're after sessions with pro musicians and more traditional high-end gear choices, it'd be worth checking out the various Telefunken sessions. The Brew's 'What I Want' is a particular favourite of mine, for instance.

(19-03-2020, 07:40 AM)Mike Senior Wrote:
(19-03-2020, 02:01 AM)Krabbe Wrote: well, at the end of the day, I guess that I just had been looking forward to be working with some high quality stuff.

If you're after sessions with pro musicians and more traditional high-end gear choices, it'd be worth checking out the various Telefunken sessions. The Brew's 'What I Want' is a particular favourite of mine, for instance.

Thank you so much! I will check it out immediately Smile

#nosubnoshow
Do you like these drums ? I see you want puncy and powerful drums .Listen and tell me what do you think ? Dou you want drum records like that ?
Basically yes, they're fine for rock n' roll

#nosubnoshow