Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Wright - By My Side
As most have mentioned a lot of bleed, but it kind of lends itself to a "live"-like mix. I also placed the lead rather up-front to suit the mood. Hope you like it and please share your thoughts on the mix!

EDIT! Added two new versions. Slightly eited voice on both (to reduce the negative effect of the lead moving back and forth towards the microphone.

a06: Lead vox a bit lower in the mix.

b2b: Similar to a06 but with a more lush space.

.mp3    KatWright_ByMySide_a04.mp3 --  (Download: 9.04 MB)

.mp3    KatWright_ByMySide_a06.mp3 --  (Download: 9.04 MB)

.mp3    KatWright_ByMySide_b2b.mp3 --  (Download: 9.04 MB)

yeah nice, more in keeping with the genre
I do like the Vibe. The vocal does sound real nice. I do like the overall tone.

Do wish that the band could be brought up a little more to support the vocal.
I hear quite a bit of the kick going to the side, feels a little distracting for myself. Probably just my own preference.

Thanks for listening and taking time to comment! I think you are right and will re-visit and post an edited version if I manage to improve on this mix.
Loving this! Sounds like the whole kit is panned a hair right. Vocal sounds great, but I think it could use a bit more verb to fit into the band's pocket. Either that or take a little verb off the band and move the whole thing up front a little more.

I gotta get a piece of this one soon.
Thanks for listening!
Logic, Midas M32, KRK monitors, Beyerdynamic and Focal headphones
(10-04-2020, 04:21 PM)PhilThePeel Wrote: Loving this! Sounds like the whole kit is panned a hair right. Vocal sounds great, but I think it could use a bit more verb to fit into the band's pocket. Either that or take a little verb off the band and move the whole thing up front a little more.

I gotta get a piece of this one soon.
Yes, the vox is really on its own. It needs to be brought down a little in the mix (as eggshell commented), which might be enough to get it to sound more oldish live-style without having to put on the gimmicky 30'th voicing. I will try that to see how it feels.

Cheers!
Added two new versions. Thanks for the feedback!
Generally good, especially the voice. Horns might be a bit mid-rangy and could be scooped out some to surround her voice better. Not sure of the panning of the horns either although the ensemble mix is very good. I treated the horns as a call and answer to her vocal with as much dominance as her vocal in places, especially at the end when the horn phrase should be primary and the vocals oohs moved back to support the horn section as they carry the song to completion.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thanks for the feedback! Possibly the sax would benefit from being placed to the right..., but the organ would probably be buried then and I like the sound of that so... Not sure about which of the spacious (b2b) or the more dry (a06) version though.