Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It "Must Be VooDoo"
I'm quite sure it's voodoo...
Tongue

"b" mix added on 3/14/2020

"c" mix added on 3/21/2020

.mp3    WestEndBlend_MustBeVooDoo_a.mp3 --  (Download: 11.67 MB)

.mp3    WestEndBlend_MustBeVooDoo_b.mp3 --  (Download: 11.67 MB)

.mp3    WestEndBlend_MustBeVooDoo_c.mp3 --  (Download: 11.67 MB)

Tonally it works. It does feel a little "processed". It feels like some of the life has been taken out of it. But I might just be too used to other versions. This song is just a bit too laid back and needs some help in the energy department. I think the cymbals could come up a bit too but I get that they might be back because of the leakage and all that. The horn blend could use some automation. It works at he top but I'm missing the trumpet (?) in the chorus. Or maybe he just drops out and I forgot. If the trumpet doesn't play in the first chorus then definitely don't bring it up. I do think the vocal over all could come up to the front of the stage. She should be a bit more "commanding". It's hard to describe.

Overall it sounds pretty good. I just think this song needs some help in terms of excitement and energy. Technically it's a good mix. It just needs a bit more emotion.
(12-03-2020, 01:58 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Tonally it works. It does feel a little "processed". It feels like some of the life has been taken out of it. But I might just be too used to other versions. This song is just a bit too laid back and needs some help in the energy department. I think the cymbals could come up a bit too but I get that they might be back because of the leakage and all that. The horn blend could use some automation. It works at he top but I'm missing the trumpet (?) in the chorus. Or maybe he just drops out and I forgot. If the trumpet doesn't play in the first chorus then definitely don't bring it up. I do think the vocal over all could come up to the front of the stage. She should be a bit more "commanding". It's hard to describe.

Overall it sounds pretty good. I just think this song needs some help in terms of excitement and energy. Technically it's a good mix. It just needs a bit more emotion.
Thanks Roy...
An extremely thoughtful and well written critique.
Totally agree on the cymbals - and appreciate your understanding of why one might hold the o'heads and room back. Of course, as stated, it's a trade-off , but yeah, they were definitely too low. I think the trumpet does drop out in spots... and I tend to get lazy with the automation i.e. don't bend the rubber bands as much as I should.
Also, agree on the lead vocal...but there is something odd about the overall presence of it that doesn't seem to be able to fixed with just compression , eq and volume. Also, this is yet another case where they "forgot" to use pop filters - which tends to make you want to not put it any more on top than you can tolerate the pops.. (The pops were so bad on that last Kat Wright tune that I refused to even bother with it) I hate high-passing the vocal too much cuz it thins it out. Of course you high-pass below stupid frequencies but as the frequencies move into more legitimate vocal range, it's not that much fun to thin it out.
I appreciate the listen and critique. The "b" mix should address some of the issues you brought up.
- NT -