Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MUST BE VOODOO
My take. Tried something different mixed it on a laptop then ref it on mains to tweak. All in the box

Feedback is appreciated and returned

*EDIT

Took the same laptop mix tweaked it on my studio mains and ran it thru my 2bus and mastering gear think im going to start streamlining things this way. Liking the sound better than my 500 series stuff

.mp3    MUSTBEVOODOO.mp3 --  (Download: 8.73 MB)

.mp3    VOODOO.mp3 --  (Download: 8.61 MB)

I wasn't sure what version to listen to. I assumed "VOODOO" and giving a quick listen to the beginning of each feel like that was going to be the better version to listen to. I hope this coincides with the extra mastering steps you took.

I like the organ. It's the first time I really noticed it in the mixes so far and it really helps. The snare is a little papery and dry. I think it needs just a bit more decay to help the groove and excitement. It feels like it's in a separate space from the rest of the track. I think it could probably come back a hair. I think the same could be said for the for the toms. The energy dips in the pre-chorus sections. Conversely the guitar on the right could come up and be a bit drier. Maybe even automate the riffs it plays around the vocals. It could really come up in the outro. The trumpet solo could come up. I feel like I'm hearing some some compression keeping things in check a bit too much in the chorus.

I really like the mix. I think it feels like a studio recording but still has the live energy. There are some tweaks that could be done, especially concerning the snare but in general the mix has the spirit of the song. Good job.

Thanks for the listen yea listening back to it your points are valid. I'll make some adjustments and repost.