Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Souls Moon mixed by Artbass
Very nice. Thanks for the tip on the kick.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Hello!

Last version is much better the vox... I think as you is better to keep the intimacy of the song, good point Smile

In my mix I treat vox boosting on 10K area and then use de-esser, I think it give more air to the vox but still intimate... have a try if you want.
Also I used CLA-76 and then plugchild, and, to help the compression, with the fader I went for automation. If the fader was set at -3dB, were I ear the comp pumping, I go down with the fader...it works Wink

All best and I'll work on my mix thinking on your advice Smile

Jacques
Sorry but you have flat, lifeless mix. Need to work on it, breathe life into it, the emotions!

I don't agree that it's a lifeless mix. Maybe a bit too much compression on some of the instruments, which could lead to the "flat" feeling, but "lifeless" is a bit harsh. My main observation is that, especially when listening on headphones, the exposed parts with just acoustic and lead vox sound unbalanced with the acoustic panned hard L and nothing balancing it on the R. The vocal sound is good.
(30-11-2013, 12:35 PM)akor Wrote: Sorry but you have flat, lifeless mix. Need to work on it, breathe life into it, the emotions!

Sorry that you don't get the emotional impact that I get. There is a lot that can be discussed but if something does not touch you, it simply doesn't. I can only mix things the way I hear them, the way they move me.

Now what would add life to my mix? A rather too obvious delay like in your mix? That, to me, is a mere distraction and I don't want distraction. Something moving around from left to right? Sudden changes in volume? Drowning everything in reverb? Using less compression? More? Clever changes to the arrangement?

Your statement leaves me with nothing (or too much) I can do.
(30-11-2013, 02:04 PM)jspace24 Wrote: I don't agree that it's a lifeless mix. Maybe a bit too much compression on some of the instruments, which could lead to the "flat" feeling, but "lifeless" is a bit harsh. My main observation is that, especially when listening on headphones, the exposed parts with just acoustic and lead vox sound unbalanced with the acoustic panned hard L and nothing balancing it on the R. The vocal sound is good.

Thank you for your comment.

Regarding the compression: I don't know, there is not that much compression going on. I've left several stuff almost uncompressed (if you take bus compression out of the equation) and generally set for not much more than 3db of gain reduction most of the time.

Regarding the panning: It is indeed not balanced at that moment, I won't argue with this observation. But does it have to be balanced all the time? I would say no. That would be boring, at least to me. Now, is it distracting in a way that takes you out of the song?
I voiced my opinion. Your right to agree with him or not.
PS: Listen to more music reference. Not confined to yourself. Potential you have. Good luck!