Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Souls Moon mixed by Artbass
Hi all,

nice tune and good recording. What caught me was the fretless bass. I just love it Smile This shows in my mix, I guess. Having no real comparison in my collection, I've just referenced to a few songs by bassists Richard Bona and Etienne Mbappe. This might have made matters worse, I don't know Cool

I also started with the idea of taking notes while I was mixing but it really distracted me, so I dismissed this idea.

Just let me recapture with what I started: The phase/polarity switch offers interesting tonal changes to the drums. Especially the kick shows a completly different face, once you flip the polarity. Should you decide to mix this song, give that a try and thank me afterwards.

Anyway, give me all the feedback you can think of.

Cheers
Artbass

.mp3    AllSoulsMoon_Artbass_M1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

.mp3    AllSoulsMoon_Artbass_M2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

.mp3    AllSoulsMoon_Artbass_M3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

it's simply perfect!! I've enjoyed every second of your mix! thanks for posting!
mixing since April 2013
Hi!

Overal balance is good!

I dont liked yours decisions about panning in mix!

Vocal/s are too light/no weight and without dynamics!

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Google translate! Blush
(25-11-2013, 06:59 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: it's simply perfect!! I've enjoyed every second of your mix! thanks for posting!

Oh, thank you Blush

(25-11-2013, 07:30 PM)mik123 Wrote: I dont liked yours decisions about panning in mix!

Can you be a bit more precise here, please? Because with only so few elements playing, where would you pan them? With which decisions do you disagree the most?

I've made a second version with some minor tweeks, mainly the tonality of the vocals and some slight eq-changes. There was also a send that I had accidently muted the last time.
A bit too much bass and I think the vocals are a bit too dry, other than that, great mix!
To me the bas lvl is just fine and it sounds wonderful.
Drums and leadvox could have little more air and ambience but it works fine for me as is. The bv are a tad loud, and I gues they should be as this is your mix.

I like it
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thanks for your feedback.

(26-11-2013, 12:56 AM)FlamingBeatz Wrote: A bit too much bass

I was wondering when this would come up Wink The question is: too much bass for what? Considering the tracks given, the bass seems to be more than just a mere lowend filler, while the guitar and the piano are rather generic (though giving harmonic and rhythmic information and adding colour). This, to me, sets the bass to the level of the leadvocals considering its importance to the mix. But (just to state that once more) I may be biased being a bassist myself and absolutly loving fretless bass.

(26-11-2013, 02:36 AM)Voelund Wrote: Drums and leadvox could have little more air and ambience but it works fine for me as is.

I tend to mix rather dry, that is true. Part of it may be me just being lazy Blush but I do not like the sound of reverb too much. I will see if I can give it a bit more work in this department.

Quote:The bv are a tad loud, and I gues they should be as this is your mix.

Well, they are at a level where I think they work pretty well, but this is obviously debatable.
(25-11-2013, 11:50 PM)Artbass Wrote:
(25-11-2013, 07:30 PM)mik123 Wrote: I dont liked yours decisions about panning in mix!

Can you be a bit more precise here, please? Because with only so few elements playing, where would you pan them? With which decisions do you disagree the most?

I've made a second version with some minor tweeks, mainly the tonality of the vocals and some slight eq-changes. There was also a send that I had accidently muted the last time.

I carefully listen yours mix ver.2! About panning! For me acc guitar is not part of song but stay alone in mix! Bass guitar is beautiful and important, but he also must plays his role in mix. In yours mix he is too dominant!

Or maybe not! Big Grin

Generally, I like your attitude and continue on this path! Wink

Thanks!

Google translate! Blush
Hi Art!

Nice mix Ii really like it...just voice could be more present and a little bit more in front IMO.

All best my friend

Jacques
I've tried to work a bit more on the vocal's presence, because that is something quite a few of you mentioned. You can listen to it in the third mix added to the first post. I also did a few bits here and there, removed a little click on the vocal track, added a bit of air to the drums as well, nothing big.

However, the way it is know is the farthest I personally would take it with this mix because it starts to diminish the intimacy that I tried to create. And seeing that none of you really mentioned that you can not mix this song this way, I'd like to leave it like that. Please still feel free to comment, to point your fingers on technical issues or to start a discussion on aesthetics.

Again thanks to all of you that listened to it and shared their thoughts. I really apreciate it, even if I start to discuss some of your thoughts.

Cheers
Artbass