Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
BY MY SIDE
My take all in the box. Messing around with some room correction. Feedback is appreciated and given back

*Edit Last version is a full analog mixed/mastered version just for comparison second version was all in the box

Think i might have overdriven the low end and drums on the analog version

.mp3    KAT WRIGHT.mp3 --  (Download: 5.44 MB)

.mp3    KAT WRIGHT_12.mp3 --  (Download: 5.46 MB)

.mp3    BY MY SIDE Analog v3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.43 MB)

Feels good. I do hear some of the 'artifacts'/pops (maybe from the room correction) in the first couple of minutes in the song.
I think the bass could come up a just a hair to help move the song along. It feels like it needs that especially in the verses where the wurly and guitar are playing pretty staccato. The snare could be a little brighter. The guitar is sometimes a bit harsh on the "chops". I like the wound of the wurly and the vocal. There are times when she's a little too thick and it doesn't bother me but yeah, I guess some lower mids can be cut on the vocal. Overall it feels a little too dry. I hear some reverb but maybe that was just what was on the guitar amp. My gut is that the horns could use a little just to put them in a space and the vocal could use some as well. I think adding some verb to the vocal might have an added benefit of also giving the drums some ambience through the leakage.

Overall it feels really good. I just think it needs something else to give it a bit more excitement and help it move along more. Good job.
Thanks for listening Roy. The artifacts were edits i did to the vocals to cut out some unwanted noise i did crossfades to take them out. I could have used a gate but chose to do it that way.I went back in and cleared it up. I'm tuning my home setup i got a dirac live correction at the studio that is working well. I used some songs i know were mixed well to fine tune the settings in there. Everything is translating pretty good. I wanted to correct my home setup using arc i also have ref 4 but it was not working for some reason. So your feedback is helping me sort out some of the anomalies. I used Bowtie (suggested by mike in his blog) and Get lucky to fine tune. They work well i find using the correction isn't enough you have to custom it a bit and dial it in. Using ref songs to do this helps. Let me know what you think

Thanks Again
I like the new version. I do still hear an edit or two on the vocal. I think everything sounds big and I like that but I think the vocal gets a overshadowed but I'm not sure. The bari is a little too out front and the tenor (I think) is getting lost. It feels like the left side of the image is a little empty. It works as is but the guitars are center-right, the wurly is center and the trumpet is right. I think the tenor is the only thing on the left and it's a bit quiet as is. The ride fills in the space I suppose. Again, it doesn't bother me but thought I'd mention it.

There's a dropout near the end in the...bridge? Right before the outro.

I think that's it. Sounds good.
(26-02-2020, 10:26 AM)sagalegin Wrote: My take all in the box. Messing around with some room correction. Feedback is appreciated and given back

Hi

Just listened to your new mix. It sounds great!

Good balance and feel, I like how you spread the instruments across the stereo field. Good job!

I struggled a lot with the bleed on the vocals

Cheers!

X

(27-02-2020, 12:13 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I like the new version. I do still hear an edit or two on the vocal. I think everything sounds big and I like that but I think the vocal gets a overshadowed but I'm not sure. The bari is a little too out front and the tenor (I think) is getting lost. It feels like the left side of the image is a little empty. It works as is but the guitars are center-right, the wurly is center and the trumpet is right. I think the tenor is the only thing on the left and it's a bit quiet as is. The ride fills in the space I suppose. Again, it doesn't bother me but thought I'd mention it.

There's a dropout near the end in the...bridge? Right before the outro.

I think that's it. Sounds good.

Thanks for the Input Roy I'll take a listen. The guitar i believe is panned hard left and right...one side might be a bit louder than the other though. i'll check the balances again and the cuts on the vocal. I also listened back and heard that drop out good ear...weird must be a bounce issue

Thanks Again
(27-02-2020, 12:50 PM)MR.X Wrote: Hi

Just listened to your new mix. It sounds great!

Good balance and feel, I like how you spread the instruments across the stereo field. Good job!

I struggled a lot with the bleed on the vocals

Cheers!

X

Thanks for the listen and feedback. Yea the vocals have alot of bleed i went in and manually cut out what i could which worked...you can also try to use a gate to duck some of that bleed also.

[/quote]

Nice worke with version 2. I especially enjoy your kick/bass balance.

Apparently it's woth the effort manually editing drum bleed out of the vocal track, 'cause it does wonders to your drum sound, particularly the snare.

Now, perhaps I miss some additional verb on the vocal, maybe a bit longer verb, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

Excellent job. Keep it up
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
(28-02-2020, 12:16 PM)Krabbe Wrote: Nice worke with version 2. I especially enjoy your kick/bass balance.

Apparently it's woth the effort manually editing drum bleed out of the vocal track, 'cause it does wonders to your drum sound, particularly the snare.

Now, perhaps I miss some additional verb on the vocal, maybe a bit longer verb, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

Excellent job. Keep it up

Thanks! Yea that bleed is heavy cutting it out manually works i could especially hear it doing an analog mix of it. Used plate reverb on vocals felt it felt better

I like the 'analog' version. I could use more vocal. My biggest issue is that the horns and especially the bari are too loud and 'in your face'.When there horns are about it feels cool but when the bari digs in it's a bit overbearing.