Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triviul's 'widow'
Here's my attempt to mix this song!

Thank you in advance for comments and advice!

.mp3    Triviul - Widow.mp3 --  (Download: 6.84 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Only able to listen on the PC speakers at the moment, but I like what I'm hearing! Love the muscular drums-led vision here too. (It's great hearing everyone's different slants on this material, having lived with it for so long in its original form!) I guess I'm just a sucker for loud drums...

Nice bit of ear-candy panning the vocal sample -- I should have done that! Smile In general I like the way that sample cuts through the mix. It tended to get lost in my original mix, but I really like the character of it.

Maybe the high synth countermelody in the second verse is a bit overbearing. I think that can afford to be a bit more subliminal. On the other hand, I wonder whether you've underplayed the chorus BVs countermelody. It could just be that I'm too attached to it, knowing how long it took me to nail it down. Smile

Thanks for posting!
thanks for your comments, Mike! I'm so happy that you liked my mix!! anyway, I'm a good listener and I pay attention to what everybody here suggests, so here it is again my mix with the improvements you mentioned! Smile

.mp3    Triviul - Widow.mp3 --  (Download: 6.84 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Great mix, man. I'm going to have to give this one another crack... I left mine bone dry, thinking that was the way to go from the outset, but so many people have gotten much better results with big, spacious reverbs. Good work!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
thank you, Pauli! It took me a lot of time to start feeling comfortable with reverbs and delays, but eventually my persistence paid off and I started to make better mixes :-)
mixing since April 2013
reverbs and delays are great tools to be certain, but there are some styles (like this one) where it can be hard to judge if they're appropriate. a tune like kaathadi, of course, deserves to be sopping wet, so that's how we did it. my reference material I chose for this song was all quite dry, with delay only used as a widening effect, and often no reverb at all, so I honestly never even considered using it at all, which was a lazy mistake. I think I spend too much time trying to preserve the track balance in isolation the way that the loops are presented, but the way that you've beefed the kick drum and overhyped the loop in general makes my mix sound pretty puny, so with your successes in mind I'm going to try and get back to this one.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Nice Mix Juan! I love what you did with the drums (I had such trouble with them!). There's some nice candy in your mix, some of the synth lines are really sweet, and I love the panning of the vocal sample - nice vibe. I did think the vocal sample could go a few dB's down in places, and I would've liked all those vocals to build more toward the end. I did really enjoy listening to this, and you've got me wanting to go back and try and emulate your cool swirling synth balance. Thanks for posting!
thank you, lowstring Smile your words are very encouraging for someone that has little experience in this! I really appreciate it!
mixing since April 2013
Sounds great Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!