Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
The Brew - What I Want (Mixed and Mastered)
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. I've been mixing (live & studio) for a couple of years on and off and wanted to get properly back into the studio side of things. Would love to hear some constructive feedback on this.

Had a lot of fun on this and I hope you enjoy my contribution!

~Dire

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want.mp3 --  (Download: 8.79 MB)

Too much distortion, too much reverb, I couldn't hear all the music.
Hi

Verb's nice, too much though is disruptive.

Did you overcook your drum bus? I obviously hear the distortion on the vox, but it seems like there's also a little distortion on the toms ...?

I think your snare drum is ... well, I guess it would be nice for more electronic styles. In this particular context, I am not a fan.

On a positive note, it sounds well balanced; all instruments are well defined in your mix.
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
(19-03-2020, 04:19 PM)Krabbe Wrote: Hi

Verb's nice, too much though is disruptive.

Did you overcook your drum bus? I obviously hear the distortion on the vox, but it seems like there's also a little distortion on the toms ...?

I think your snare drum is ... well, I guess it would be nice for more electronic styles. In this particular context, I am not a fan.

On a positive note, it sounds well balanced; all instruments are well defined in your mix.

Thanks for the feedback! The drums are slightly distorted to give that grungy bluesy sound. I wanted to go for a big spacious open sound otherwise, especially with this type of genre, it can sound incredibly flat and boring. I do agree however that the drums in particular have too much reverb on and in hind-sight I should have dialed it back some what. The snare drum was probably the biggest pain to get right in this. I'm not happy with it, and no matter what I did I wasnt happy. Again, thanks for the constructive feed back!
(19-03-2020, 07:06 PM)DireFlows Wrote: [...] The snare drum was probably the biggest pain to get right in this. I'm not happy with it, and no matter what I did I wasnt happy. Again, thanks for the constructive feed back!
Have you tried to do NOTHING on the snare drum? I used both the M80 top and bottom mics and just blended the bottom under the top.
"Es wird immer weiter geh'n, Musik als Traeger von Ideen." ~ Kraftwerk
(19-03-2020, 07:12 PM)Yoda.Earth Wrote:
(19-03-2020, 07:06 PM)DireFlows Wrote: [...] The snare drum was probably the biggest pain to get right in this. I'm not happy with it, and no matter what I did I wasnt happy. Again, thanks for the constructive feed back!
Have you tried to do NOTHING on the snare drum? I used both the M80 top and bottom mics and just blended the bottom under the top.

You know what, I actually havent! Thats an interesting idea. Its so easy to get caught up in complexities when sometimes the most simple solution is the best!
(19-03-2020, 07:25 PM)DireFlows Wrote: You know what, I actually havent! Thats an interesting idea. Its so easy to get caught up in complexities when sometimes the most simple solution is the best!

Not sure this is the best solution but certainly worth trying :-)

"Es wird immer weiter geh'n, Musik als Traeger von Ideen." ~ Kraftwerk