Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Friggy Mix - The Elephant
Well recorded and produced song, made mixing pretty straight forward. Briefly checked my mix against some Jimmy Eat World and Deftones for loudness and I'm around the same volume.

.mp3    00-The Elephant MixV1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.09 MB)

Hi,

Ah.

Yeah - good mix and vision, especially when comparing with the example mix and your refs. As an aside - I wondered if you mix into bus compression? Kind of got this feeling when listening on headphones.

Anyway, I enjoyed this a lot on many levels.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
10 times better than my mix, but the only thing I do not like is that the main vocal is not inteligible in the first verse cause it is masked by the rythm guitar.
Very nice and big sounding mix! I love your drum sound, especially the snare, with which I had quite some problems in my own mix. However the guitars in the chorus seems to have too much low end to me, and it's too distracting when the chorus hits. I'd also either turn down the saw bass synth down a notch, or try cut the low and hi with low db/oct filters. Also, the vocals in the chorus can be a little bit wetter as well. Great job overall!
Thank you. Smile

For the bus compression, I do have MJUC on there. Mk3 mode, but the needle moves about a pixel when the distorted guitars come in. MJUC has some nice eq and saturation options I was trying out, but what I think is more noticable is a lot of parallel compression. Kick+snare+bass sent to an 1176 and blended in, some drums but mostly rooms sent to an 1176, the whole instrumental mix sent to Kotelnikov, kind of like the rear-bus technique. Lot of little things like that.

Nice mix dude! Drums are slamming and guitars are loud and wide.

How did you made the guitars so loud without overcoming the drums?
Peppermark

if it sounds good, do it bruh
Very nice mix!
(20-02-2020, 03:12 AM)Friggy Wrote: Thank you. Smile

For the bus compression, I do have MJUC on there. Mk3 mode, but the needle moves about a pixel when the distorted guitars come in. MJUC has some nice eq and saturation options I was trying out, but what I think is more noticable is a lot of parallel compression. Kick+snare+bass sent to an 1176 and blended in, some drums but mostly rooms sent to an 1176, the whole instrumental mix sent to Kotelnikov, kind of like the rear-bus technique. Lot of little things like that.

Hi!

Many thanks for sharing those details. Very generous and much appreciated. I was curious because I thought the vocal/guitar volume balance and 'pushing' effect was really good, and wondered if you got the balance mixing into compression.

Yeah it's amazing the difference parallel compression makes. The 1176 (and also H-comp I think) are great for this. I tend to keep bass/drums/vox, etc seperate and have a parallel comp for each bus if I use it. I will have to give it try setting up a seperate parallel bus and sending different instruments to it.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Great mix! punchy drums and nice and loud guitars. Only thing I would mention is the last line of the 2nd verse ducks in volume. Any tips on how to get the drums through the mix when the guitars are that loud? That's something I struggle with.
Wow, now this is a promising mix. I have a couple nitpicks, though, that might help you out:

- Snare has a tad too much wispiness. It’s mostly in the room.
- Bring down the verse guitar just a hair. The verse vocals are getting drowned slightly in the 1st verse, but in the 2nd, they are clear as day.
- Verse vocals have a tad too much wispiness as well. Chorus vocals are fine, but bring them up just a hair.
- Bring just a little bit more sub end to the kick
- A bit too much clankiness on the bass, mostly in the verses
- Chorus lead guitar could come down just a tad

The rest of the mix is totally on point. Just a couple more fine tunes and you have a winner. Good luck!