Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Aureus Necrosis - My 1st metal mix
Hey,

Im new to mixing metal and heavy rock tracks. Just got myself reaper to get more into making heavier music with real instruments.

I used free plugins only. And no midi files or samples were used.

Any tips and feedback would be very welcome!

Thanks

EDIT: added a new mix i quickly fixed some compression and played with the drumroom

.mp3    VMGY - Aureus Necrosis Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.07 MB)

.mp3    VMGY - Aureus Necrosis Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.07 MB)

Rocking free plugins and cheap hardware like a champ
I think you forgot to attach your mix there bud, but congrats on your first metal mix

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(12-02-2020, 05:20 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: I think you forgot to attach your mix there bud, but congrats on your first metal mix

Cheers,
Doug

Just reuploaded the mix as it was a low bitrate mp3 at first Big Grin
Hei there! I think the mix itself is really well made, but there's maybe an over/wrong use of compression/limiting on the master buss, 'cause it sounds to me like it's constantly pushing down the whole thing at times. Anyway the balance is pretty solid and i like especially how you put the snare in context (It's really "Modern"). Maybe the guitars are a little bit too dark for my own taste on this genre Smile
(12-02-2020, 05:35 PM)Fester993 Wrote: Hei there! I think the mix itself is really well made, but there's maybe an over/wrong use of compression/limiting on the master buss, 'cause it sounds to me like it's constantly pushing down the whole thing at times. Anyway the balance is pretty solid and i like especially how you put the snare in context (It's really "Modern"). Maybe the guitars are a little bit too dark for my own taste on this genre Smile

Thanks for the feedback! Now that you said it I noticed the master limiter was doing something weird. Used a new (free) one for the first time and managed to get the weird pumping you mentioned.
Will need to have a look at the other compressors as well. The Kick has a sidechain to the bass buss (high and low eq). Maybe it would sound better with just the low one sidechained in heavier music?

Found messing with the snare and guitar sounds a lot of great fun. So ended up editing the original sound in the final mix as well. I guess my ears just got very used to them haha.
Thanks for the feedback! Now that you said it I noticed the master limiter was doing something weird. Used a new (free) one for the first time and managed to get the weird pumping you mentioned.
Will need to have a look at the other compressors as well. The Kick has a sidechain to the bass buss (high and low eq). Maybe it would sound better with just the low one sidechained in heavier music?

Found messing with the snare and guitar sounds a lot of great fun. So ended up editing the original sound in the final mix as well. I guess my ears just got very used to them haha.

Hei!

Usually sidechaining while rolling out of the bass frequencies and using then "only" the transients helps glue togheter bass and Kick in my opinion; doing so you'll have the attack from the kick followed by the sustain of the bass guitar having a stronger and neater low end Big Grin

And, in the end, as Dave Pensado once said, you're selling your own taste when you're mixing so don't be afraid to break the rules!