Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Magicians Nephew - Get Out Of Bed
My first attempt at top down mixing,I used a tape emulation and a console emulation plugin on the master bus to give the mix a more retro and 'analog' sound as well as to give it more glue.

My biggest challenge was balancing all the instruments near the solo section.I used some volume automation to balance them out and I think it turned out okay.

Feedback welcomed!

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed.mp3 --  (Download: 2.58 MB)

Man those guitars sound meaty, nice job maybe a bit too loud at points. i feel like cymbals are too loud (or its just my disdain for hi hats being mic'd). From 2:15 its messy, i also feel like there is some clipping. im listening on like 5$earphones at the moment so take it with a pinch of salt
Hi

I too like the meatyness in your guitar sound. Well done. Perhaps I think the guitar solo could have been more emphasized.
I'm not sure that I am nuts about your drums; they seems kinda distant.

It sounds like there's A LOT of 2k - 3k in your vocal ... did you boost that area?

The last part's kinda messy, but I guess that's in the nature of the song. Mine turned out sorta the same Wink

It sounds like your clipping your master output ... or maybe you should just consider a mp3 higher resolution ...?

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.I realized I overcooked the master bus (which might explain the clipping)so I pulled back on that and I also pulled back on the compression during mastering.I also was using a lower resolution mp3 file so I rectified that as well.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can improve on!Smile

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.43 MB)

Hi

I most def like your second edition.

I am still not mad about your drums. I like that you've made them present in the mix. That's nice. However, I still think that your snare is a bit to the bright side. I like it dirty, y'know Wink And maybe I wish for a tighter gate on the kick.

A former guitarist I still think your guitar solo is a bit too far back.

Overall, I like your mix. My notes are just small details. I think that you've done a very nice job here
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Recently, I was trying out the brainworx console N plugin so I decided to try it out on this track.About 95% of the EQ I've done on this version was with the above mentioned plugin and I thought it turned out pretty great.I also did some more volume automation for the lead guitar,hammond organ and vocals so that its not as cluttered as previous versions.

Let me know what you think!

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed_V3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.51 MB)